Women carrying in Texas after Jan 1

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
PawPaw

Re: Women carrying in Texas after Jan 1

Post by PawPaw »

Yeah but you have to realize we have had an influx of furriners from places like California. We've also been without open carry for so long that people forgot about it. I'm expecting a pretty quiet time except for the whiney bitchbabies and the police will slap them down.
There will be a "settling in" period for sure. Some folks will carry openly for a while due to the novelty, then drop it for other reasons. Open Carry has been legal in Louisiana for ever (It have never been NOT legal in my memory.) and very few people open carry in this state. It's one thing we have to train police on, because it's seen so little.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Here in AZ, a lot of people open carry. See some almost every day.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Yogimus wrote:If you want to open carry, yo uwear appropriate equipment.
Thong, gun belt and tactical pasties?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Precision

Post by Precision »

SoupOrMan wrote:
Yogimus wrote:If you want to open carry, yo uwear appropriate equipment.
Thong, gun belt and tactical pasties?

I'm going without the pasties, personally. Might go with assless chaps though.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

PawPaw wrote:
Yeah but you have to realize we have had an influx of furriners from places like California. We've also been without open carry for so long that people forgot about it. I'm expecting a pretty quiet time except for the whiney bitchbabies and the police will slap them down.
There will be a "settling in" period for sure. Some folks will carry openly for a while due to the novelty, then drop it for other reasons. Open Carry has been legal in Louisiana for ever (It have never been NOT legal in my memory.) and very few people open carry in this state. It's one thing we have to train police on, because it's seen so little.
I like to see it on the books to facilitate carry in rural areas or such but in an urban environment concealed is the way to 2.
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

JAG2955 wrote:The law and hubbub about it are ridiculous. John, your sheriff's statement proves that. With the number of open carry states, where *almost* nothing extraordinary happens, I would expect that the police and media would not be making such a fuss...and yet here we are.

I'm more excited about the 30.06 violation dropping down to a C class misdemeanor.
I didn't mean to give the impression the Longview PD were anti-open carry. The law is very specific about open carry being on the belt or the shoulder. Longview PD isn't going to question open carriers unless they are doing something else which is suspicious. Our 911 operators have a check list to ask people who call in b/c they "saw someone with a gun".

30.06 and 30.07 violations can go up to class A if the license holder refuses to leave when asked by the sign poster. (Not that I can imagine one would unless they were drunk.)
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Vonz90 wrote:I like to see it on the books to facilitate carry in rural areas or such but in an urban environment concealed is the way to 2.
You're looking at it all back-asswards. The ideal is not to have it on the books at all.

The idea of a law is to make something illegal.

Here's how it works in Louisiana. Back in the 1940s, Louisiana decided that the only people who carried concealed were those folks who had "nefarious" purposes to do so. Folks who carried openly were farmers, hunters, ranchers, trappers, engaged in either recreation or as a part of their livelihood. So, Louisiana adopted a law that made carrying concealed a misdemeanor.

But, then, they realized that some folks carry concealed for very good reason. Like plainclothes cops, so they added an exception to the law that says plainclothes cops can carry concealed. Then as time went on, more folks harassed the legislature into adding more exceptions. Finally, in the '90s, Louisiana adopted its first exception that allowed law-abiding citizens to carry concealed, with a licensing regime. So, now we have shall-issue concealed carry.

But, there is nothing in the law about open carry. Open carry is completely legal, because it was never made illegal.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

So, today is January 2nd. How is the great experiment going? Is blood running in the streets yet?
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

PawPaw wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:I like to see it on the books to facilitate carry in rural areas or such but in an urban environment concealed is the way to 2.
You're looking at it all back-asswards. The ideal is not to have it on the books at all.

The idea of a law is to make something illegal.

Here's how it works in Louisiana. Back in the 1940s, Louisiana decided that the only people who carried concealed were those folks who had "nefarious" purposes to do so. Folks who carried openly were farmers, hunters, ranchers, trappers, engaged in either recreation or as a part of their livelihood. So, Louisiana adopted a law that made carrying concealed a misdemeanor.

But, then, they realized that some folks carry concealed for very good reason. Like plainclothes cops, so they added an exception to the law that says plainclothes cops can carry concealed. Then as time went on, more folks harassed the legislature into adding more exceptions. Finally, in the '90s, Louisiana adopted its first exception that allowed law-abiding citizens to carry concealed, with a licensing regime. So, now we have shall-issue concealed carry.

But, there is nothing in the law about open carry. Open carry is completely legal, because it was never made illegal.

I think you are taking "on the books" too literally. In general though I would prefer something affirmative, specifically that prohibits local preemption.
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

PawPaw wrote:So, today is January 2nd. How is the great experiment going? Is blood running in the streets yet?
I haven't seen anyone open carry yet other than our local police. I also haven't seen any 30.07 signs around town at any place that didn't already have the 30.06 sign. (You have to post both signs in Texas to prevent concealed and open carry.)