Really large caliber for deer.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
toad

Really large caliber for deer.

Post by toad »

Catbird

Re: Really large caliber for deer.

Post by Catbird »

"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
toad

Post by toad »

Next:
Hunting deer with a home made claymore mine?
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

toad wrote:Next:
Hunting deer with a home made claymore mine?
No, but from that same site....

Hunting feral cats with a Coehorn Mortar :lol: :twisted:
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
toad

Post by toad »

How about loading a can of Flechettes into a coehorn mortar. Like the 6 to 9 inch ones dropped from French aircraft during WW I.
Also periodically fire your mortar so local people will be use to hearing it.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Back in the 70s an Alaska Airlines 727 was landing at my hometown, when they hit a moose, which collapsed the nose gear (according to what I was told). They were able to repair the airplane and fly it out of there.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

Netpackrat wrote:Back in the 70s an Alaska Airlines 727 was landing at my hometown, when they hit a moose, which collapsed the nose gear (according to what I was told). They were able to repair the airplane and fly it out of there.
I'd imagine that in Alaska they take more precautions to keep the large animals off the runways now. There has been something of an explosion in the deer population in the lower 48 so I'm not to surprised that deer ended up on the runway.
Had an acquaintance that scooped up a cow in his Porche though.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

toad wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Back in the 70s an Alaska Airlines 727 was landing at my hometown, when they hit a moose, which collapsed the nose gear (according to what I was told). They were able to repair the airplane and fly it out of there.
I'd imagine that in Alaska they take more precautions to keep the large animals off the runways now.
Yeah, state DOT runs up and down the runway in a pickup truck prior to arrival of each flight over a certain number of seats. There are ponds alongside the runway, so sometimes you hear shotgun blasts when they are out doing their thing. I recall one time when 737 freighter was coming in at night, DOT wouldn't man their usual response because the only seats were in the cockpit. So, the AS rampers had to do it, and they got to blast a bunch of ducks that had decided one of the ponds was a good place to rest.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

Somewhere at an Alaskan airport.
"What's wrong? You look shook up?" , "Brownie on the runway, couldn't find my slugs."
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Alaska Airlines , leftists fucks shit.
They do some OK flying though.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.