Mossberg RIFLES

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
skb12172

Mossberg RIFLES

Post by skb12172 »

Specifically, their .22LR carbines. Opinions? The price sure is right. Just looking for a plinker, not competition/sniper grade.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Yogimus

Re: Mossberg RIFLES

Post by Yogimus »

don't go 597
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Ok. Please elaborate.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

597 is the worst semiauto at that price point
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

10-4. Thanks. I prefer bolt, but may have to settle for semi. More selection, better prices. My ideal model would be a boltie with tube magazine, but it looks like Mossberg makes the only one. It's reviews are mixed.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Check out the Savage Mk II. It's available in a variety of configurations, from youth model to serious adult versions, and can be had in right and left-hand configurations. I've got a basic adult sized lefty, and inside of 50 yards, from a bench, I can cover a 10-shot group with a quarter, and have plenty of room to spare.

Another one that's becoming popular around here is the Ruger American rimfire. You can get youth or adult sizes, and the bonus is that it uses the 10-22 magazines, which are a bit cheaper than the Savage ones, and seem to work a bit better, with less fiddling about.

During the local squirrel season, you're pretty much going to see one of these two, or someone's heirloom that they inherited from grandpa. (Surprisingly, the 10-22s are not common as you'd think, even though they can be made hellaciously accurate.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

10-22s are also becoming overpriced. Too many other options for that. Thanks for the two options. I'll check them both out.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Henry 22 lever
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

The Rimfire Central forum will suck away all your time and money. They like 10/22's, CZ's, Anschutz, and many vintage target rimfires there. They also have competitions, a classifieds section, and other various sub-fora (forums?). There is a quarter-inch club, at 50 yards. Not bad shooting for a projectile that's .22" LOTS of good advice, nice folks, and "teh gun pron" is killer. 8-)
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Yogimus wrote:Henry .22 lever
Or one of their pumps.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."