Range Report: 300 Blackout SBR

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JustinR

Re: Range Report: 300 Blackout SBR

Post by JustinR »

Ok, you sold me. I'll have to try some now.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

JustinR wrote:Ok, you sold me. I'll have to try some now.
Necro... Was wondering if you'd ever had the chance to try any of the Berry's plated? Looks like there is another company now offering a 200 grain plated bullet for the 300 BLK, that is significantly less expensive... No idea if they are any good or not.

Really kicking myself for not buying more of the 1.5-6 Nikon scopes when I found that phenomenal deal on them last year, since I'll need a scope for the bolt action project eventually. I know I've said repeatedly if I were going to pay the full price for one, for that kind of money I would probably get something else. But I have had NO issues with the scope (or the mount), and it's a great scope that's extremely clear. Now that I have actually taken more of a look see at the other Blackout specific optics that are out there, I'm actually considering buying another one even if I can't find a sale. Fortunately I'm not in any rush to finish that rifle, so I can wait and see if a better deal comes along. I never really shopped around last time, because the first time I went anyplace to check out Blackout scopes I came across a deal too good to pass up.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:I posted the above link over at 300blktalk.com, and they're all whining about the price:
Whining about the price? Have these jackasses priced matchkings or ELDs lately?

Midway only lists 2 non cast bullets that are cheaper per bullet in the 180 grn and up category. 1 is the Sierra 220 grn round nose soft point (has anybody tried this in the blackout?) and Noslers 190 grn custom competion, which is significantly lighter, and i think is only cheaper is because it's on sale.
Last edited by HTRN on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Some people seem to have used the 190 Noslers with success, but going that light with subs, powder selection and semi-auto function can become issues. I saw 220 Noslers on sale at Precision Reloading for about 32 cents each recently, but they are gone now. Cheapest 220 SMKs I have found are some pulls for 36 cents each. Problem with the round nose bullets is feeding in a semi-auto. When I start reloading again, I want to come up with a load that will work in both my semi and the bolt gun.

A while ago I saw some 225 Hornadys for decent prices, but from what I've read stability can become a problem with a 1 in 8" barrel, though mine are both 1 in 7.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I honestly haven't had time to do any loading. We have some friends temporarily living with us in my hobby bedroom, so that's put a crimp on my activities in that department as well. I did buy some brass before the election, so I just have to find some time now.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

TFB recently featured this .300 subsonic fracturing load:
Lehigh Defense announced a new 176 grain bullet in its Controlled Fracturing line of projectiles. The new bullet is designed for subsonic use in 300 BLK, 300 Whisper and .308 Winchester cartridges.

These all copper bullets have pre-stressed fracture points with a brass center post sort of like a floating, over sized HydraShok post. When the bullet strikes flesh, it violently expands creating a large wound channel. The petals of the expanded bullet break off while the center core continues to penetrate. The company states the core will penetrate a minimum of 18″ while the petals will go at least 10″.

Lehigh Defense is careful to note that these are not frangible rounds made of compressed, powdered metal, but instead machined from bar stock. Since expansion does not occur until and unless they strike something like flesh, they are safe to use in gun with an attached sound suppressor.

The company lists the preferred velocity range of these bullets as 750 – 1,200 fps. For optimum stabilization in .308 Win, the company also recommends a 1:10″ twist on barrels of any length with a velocity of 1,040 fps. No specific guidance for 300 BLK/Whisper is given for these.

Unlike the typical advice given to handloaders to start with a minimum charge and work up, Lehigh Defense suggests starting with a higher charge and working down. They recommend this to avoid getting a monolithic bullet stuck in the rifle bore.
Wicked looking bullet:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... h-defense/
Eppur si muove--Galileo
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Any desire to try the Lehigh defense subs? I'm interested in getting some...
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

AlaskaTRX wrote:Any desire to try the Lehigh defense subs? I'm interested in getting some...
Not really.