Another AR Build ??????

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

Another AR Build ??????

Post by Candyman »

Yes, I have been thinking of building another AR for myself.
This will be more of a fun build.
I am thinking about picking up The Jack lower by Sharps Bros.,
SpikesJACKBillet-2.jpg
http://sharpsbros.com/the-jack/
I had one in my hand the other day and really liked it, but the $325 sticker is just a bit higher then I would like to pay.
I have a friend looking to see if he can get me one for a better price.
The barrel I am looking at is a 16" M-4 Profile Stainless Steel 1:8 Polygonal Rifled Barrel 5.56 Chamber by Black Hole Weaponry. That will cost me $265 but it is shipped with a free stripped flat top upper from Surplus Ammo. Plus free shipping.
http://www.surplusammo.com/black-hole-w ... ped-upper/
Now for the handguard. ????
I really like the look of the Diamondhead V-RS™ "T" 13.5". I have found them listed from $165 to $189.
2231-2.jpg

For the butt stock I'm thinking of going with the ACE Skeleton Stock 9.9" stock.
411AClFAaLL__SY355_.jpg
Or the ERGO F93 PRO Stock.
4925-grp_1_d5fcf25446badd3db026385864b31e26.jpg
What do y'all think and if it were you, what would you go with?
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Durham68

Re: Another AR Build ??????

Post by Durham68 »

I think the ergo stock and the diamondhead rail really match your motif. If you don't end up with the Sharps lower you might consider the following rails. I've bought both recently and have been impressed how light and comfortable they are. And the prices are finally in my wheelhouse for this kind of thing.

http://www.midstatefirearms.com/12-Gen3 ... g3rail.htm

http://www.runnerrunnerguns.com/AR_15_K ... ail-13.htm
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I almost bought the Diamondhead handguard for my build, but I decided that QD sockets were a requirement and I wanted to be able to mount an AFG because it might be more ergonomic. It's still a good handguard according to the research I did.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I checked around on the Jack Lower. One of the local shops had in stock for $325. That's list price. Another local shop told me they could order if for $350. :lol:
I checked around a little more and was able to have it ordered for less then list price. It should be in by the weekend.
I have a M16 M4 Davidson Defence Complete Melonite Nitride bolt carrier group BCG coming in from Delta Team Tactical for $90. :mrgreen: They have them on sale right now. Regular price is $221.

Now to start ordering the rest of the parts.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Cool! Hallow'een costumes for EBRs...

I rather like the clean lines of their MeanStreak lower:

http://sharpsbros.com/meanstreak-ar-15-lower-receiver/
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

I hope one of those is never used in a "gun free zone" because hell will be sure to follow in spades. Aside from that, I like it. But not at that price.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Since I am putting in a good bit of money on this build I thought I should make it a little more special.
I'm working out the detales on shipping it off to have the skull part of the lower Cerakoted in bone white.
How cool would that be??
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

While I like the ACE skeletonized stock on my AR, I agree that the Ergo would look better with this build.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

The lower arrived Friday while I was at the shop.

I really like it. Some of my friends say that I spent to much, but hay, it's only money. :lol:

The bolt carrier group arrived yesterday.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I saved some money on this build. :D
Last week a friend told me that he might have a new black Ergo buttstock and grip sitting in his extra parts.
When I showed up to work today he had it with him. I asked what he wanted for them and he said $60. That saved me about $100.