PATTERNING AND THE HOSTAGE SHOT

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Submitted just as received in the e-mail to me from Suarez International

Recently I was discussing Buckshot Patterns with a recent graduate of a “tactical shotgun school”. He mentioned how they had taught them to know exactly what their shotgun pattern was so they could take a shot past a hostage with buckshot and only hit the hostage taker. After I shook my head in disbelief, I told him my opinion of this idea...specifically about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of with regards to shotguns.

This is routinely done in many schools today, and one of the biggest selling points for barrel-chokers out there. The drill is usually set up with one “terrorist” cardboard target set up conspicuously behind another cardboard target signifying the hostage. Then the instructor will point out how, if one knows his pattern and his shotgun, he can use that knowledge to shoot right past the hostage’s ear and hit the bad guys.

I suggest a long deep inhale to smell the coffee. Then grab you best most expensive Tactical Shotgun with all the attachments on it that the “cool” Gun Magazine Guys use. You know, the one with the famous shooting school logo on the stock and engraved so fetchingly on the receiver. Load it with the most expensive tactical dipped-in-holy-water-gold-plated buckshot you can find and then stand off at 5, 7, or even 10 yards (whatever the shotgun school qual says), and sight in.

Then place your daughter in front of that evil silhouette “terrorist” cardboard. Still willing to take the shot?

Still trust your shotgun as much? Are you willing to bet that both of them out there…the hostage and hostage taker will stand still…perfectly still. And that the bad guy will be considerate enough to not really hide behind the hostage, but will stick his ugly bearded mug right up on her shoulder so you can hold off slightly?

Some tactical cool guys will answer in the affirmative. Then DO IT I say. Right now…show me on video.

Most of these guys have never fired a shot at a real human being before much less at a hostage past the ear of an innocent...with a shotgun much less. Fantasy always loses out to reality. We run scenarios like this force on force all the time. Do you know that you can’t even guarantee a hit with a pistol at 3 yards when the bad guy doesn’t want to be shot? How do you think it will turn out with your shotgun?

Technical exercises devised by clever minds on the firing range often fail to emulate reality. We’ve learned a great deal about CQB in the last few years simply by allowing ourselves to leave the doctrinal box. Perhaps its time we slay the sacred cow hostage-rescue shotgun myth as well. Prove everything you train to yourself in force on force.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!