Star Firestar Pistol

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Denis

Star Firestar Pistol

Post by Denis »

I got to handle, but not shoot, an interesting pistol at the range last night, a Star Firestar, made in Spain. It's basically an all-steel miniature single-stack 1911-pattern-ish pistol, without the grip safety and with a (spit) magazine disconnect.

The one I saw was in 9mm, and looks like it is a very nicely made piece indeed. The owner tells me it runs like clockwork, and is rather accurate within the limits of its short barrel length and sight radius. The styling is very 1980's - somehow reminding me of Magnum and Miama Vice. Other than being a good deal heavier than today's "plastic fantastics", it looks like it would be a fine carry pistol.

Here's a bit of internet linkage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Firestar_M43

http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/firestar/

Anybody have anything to add?
Netpackrat

Re: Star Firestar Pistol

Post by Netpackrat »

Used to see them around gunshops sometimes a couple decades ago, both the 9mm and .40 version. I considered getting one of the forties, but never did.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

A friend of mine has one. It is a solid little pistol that carries well. A little heavier than the current crop of what I consider a pocket gun vs. a larger belt gun. I considered getting one back in the 80's when I first saw them, but there was this sexy little used 1911A1 down at the end of the cabinet that kept winking at me...
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

My cousin Gary carried one in .40 as a CCW while he worked as a Brink's driver and swore by it. Shot it weekly two mags full,, cleaned it daily. Never failed to work.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Dad haf one, I liked it for size and shooting. However he told me it had a habit of breaking guide rods or something and he traded it in on a Glock.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
toad

Post by toad »

I don't know about the firestar but Star made the Star PD with an aluminum frame. To prevent excess wear they used a buffer pad on the end of the guide rod. That buffer needed to be replaced periodically but owners often failed to do that and the frame would be pinged.
It is shame about the Spanish firearm industry going boobs up due to economic conditions.
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Know a guy that has one in .40 S&W.

Whenever I shot it, it would eject the mag.

It was a nice, solid pistol, but its small size and snappy recoil didn't work with my grip. :?

He found a Megastar in 10mm a few years later he was very excited about. Never had the opportunity to fire that one.
evan price

Post by evan price »

toad wrote:I don't know about the firestar but Star made the Star PD with an aluminum frame. To prevent excess wear they used a buffer pad on the end of the guide rod. That buffer needed to be replaced periodically but owners often failed to do that and the frame would be pinged.
It is shame about the Spanish firearm industry going boobs up due to economic conditions.
I think thats what it was. He said the plastic doo-dad in the guide rod kept breaking. I can't remember exactly, this was what, 20 years ago?
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Erik

Post by Erik »

evan price wrote:I think thats what it was. He said the plastic doo-dad in the guide rod kept breaking.
Yeah, that's the buffer. It's a plastic/rubber ring that's placed between the guide rod and the spring. The SPS guns (also made in Spain) has the same issue, they need the buffer pad to be there to protect the frame. They break regularly and need to be replaced. That's what they are there for. People that use SPS guns always has a supply of them on hand and change as needed. One person I know made a large pile of them out of some nylon material to save cost.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Still pisses me off that I hadda give it up in the divorce. I carried it on duty for years in CID. I really liked the one I had and it shot good enough for me. Stainless and heavy but always reliable.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.