Anyone ever regret willingly thinning the herd?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JAG2955

Anyone ever regret willingly thinning the herd?

Post by JAG2955 »

I'm looking at getting rid of a rifle or two or three in order to purchase a high-end .308 semi auto, namely a LaRue PredatOBR 7.62 16".

After shooting my M1A a lot for this fall's hunt, and carrying around a lot more, I've come to realize how important ergonomics are to a rifle, and how obsolete the M1A platform is compared to a mature AR-style.

One of the candidates is the above mentioned SOCOM, and the other, as DSA STG-58, which hasn't been shot in years, and is not manufactured anymore. I have another modern FAL that I like, but does not have the accuracy potential of many other rifles.

Any regrets from anyone? Will I even notice if I truly enjoy the new purchase as much as I hope?
BDK

Re: Anyone ever regret willingly thinning the herd?

Post by BDK »

Not really. There are a few I should have sold, rather than fix. (I've gotten guns that should have been returned to the factory, sent them to custom shops, and then sold them, more than once...)
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

BDK wrote:Not really. There are a few I should have sold, rather than fix. (I've gotten guns that should have been returned to the factory, sent them to custom shops, and then sold them, more than once...)
That worthless S&W 325 of mine may get that same treatment.
BDK

Post by BDK »

If Randy Lee (Apex Tactical) is taking revolvers again, you'll love what he can do w one
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Oh, sure--S&W 745, classic old 686... I have a lot of what have become safe queens now, I've sometimes thought I should thin the herd, but I know I'd regret it.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

I've probably sold about 30-40 guns over the years, usually in large batches, to either fund some project or just because I'm tired of having a bunch of safe queens taking up space. Sometimes, I get nostalgic about them. More often, though, I get mildly annoyed that their market values appreciated after I sold them.

As it stands, there are only a few that I think I'll never sell. My first AR, the .22 Cricket I used to introduce my kids to shooting, a 10/22 that was a gift. The only one I really miss was my first Ruger MkII, in stainless, with a 5.25" bull barrel. Had to let it go to pay for a reckless driving ticket when I was in college.

If it's got nostalgic value, I'll keep it. Otherwise, they're pretty much replaceable.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Yes, with both firearms and musical instruments. However, sometimes you run out of storage space and sometimes you need emergency money.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Depends on the reason.

I never regretted a single trade or sale, but that is because they were all voluntary
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I got in some dire straights once and let an H&R Garand with a new Douglas barrel and a NIB, blue, Colt Series 70 go.

There were others, but I'd be happy to have those two back.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Out of the 3 that have left my ownership, I really only miss one... And it went to a good home where it is loved and cared for, and I can visit it any time I wish. The others, not so much. Both seemed like good ideas at the time, but didn't really do what I wanted them to. And honestly, I have probably kept some that I should get rid of, because I don't like to admit that I have been beaten by a mechanical device. Probably should have returned the CZ-527, although it seems to be working somewhat acceptably now. The Suomi frustrates me with its continuing propensity to misfeed, which is the main reason why I didn't invest in an SBR stamp for it when I did my other forms. At least I didn't spend a whole lot on it in the first place.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop