Yugo SKS grenade launcher?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
toad

Yugo SKS grenade launcher?

Post by toad »

Seems kind of shame you can't go to the gun store and buy grenades for that grenade launcher on the Yugo SKS. I wonder if there are legal tear gas, smoke, practice, or empties you could load with flour that one could acquire for harmless fun?
Netpackrat

Re: Yugo SKS grenade launcher?

Post by Netpackrat »

You used to be able to get practice grenades for them, but I assume the supply has pretty much dried up.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Those things are compatible with NATO grenades, aren't they?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
kapikui

Post by kapikui »

Jered wrote:Those things are compatible with NATO grenades, aren't they?
Ayup. I have a dummy for mine. Never tried launching it since I can't find the right blanks needed.
toad

Post by toad »

http://www.keepshooting.com/rifle-grena ... enade.html
At $40 each is a tad expensive.

I did a little research and a standard blank in an SKS will get you about 70 yards.

There used to be some Israeli shoot through practice grenades available IIRC. There were also some bullet trap types.
Up until about 10 years ago a number of European countries still issued rifle grenades. The French had a multi-use grenade. It could be used as a hand grenade or a rifle grenade. It could be fused for 5 second delay, contact, or both. It could be attached to a tail assembly to be used as a rifle grenade.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

If you ever find a practice grenade and proper "grenade launcher round", make sure you have the butt squarely on the ground and not on your shoulder before you squeeze the trigger.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I bought my SKS from Big 5 Sporting Goods back in the day. The grenade launcher muzzle device has been removed and replaced with this thing:
SKS CA compliant muzzle device sm.jpg
No grenades for me!

My SKS has a Serbian Cross carved in the stock. That means it was probably used in the Serbian conflicts in the 90's.
SKS stock sm.jpg
SKS Serbian cross sm.jpg
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Catbird wrote:I bought my SKS from Big 5 Sporting Goods back in the day. The grenade launcher muzzle device has been removed and replaced with this thing:

No grenades for me!
There appear to be plenty of them on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =511470880
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Netpackrat wrote:There appear to be plenty of them on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =511470880
Tempting, but my muzzle device is spot welded in place. I'd have to grind out the weld to remove and replace with a proper one. There is some question about whether doing so would be 922r or otherwise ATF compliant.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Mine has the original launcher on it. I'd love to launch a couple of rifle grenades off of it. It's a good shooter, too.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds