Ye Olde Pistol Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Ye Olde Pistol Picture Thread

Postby Steamforger » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:26 am

No pic of a rifle handy at the moment, but here's the nearly finished result of my recent 1911 frame and slide project.

The frame and slide are PSA. Guts are all Wilson with few exceptions. In hindsight I won't be doing this again because the quality on a few pieces was sometimes iffy and the price was high. I sent back a hammer that had either been ground far too deep on one side that it entirely removed the chamfer or was never able to be chamfered in the first place. I got a beaver tail safety from them that required a lot of reshaping. Then I ended up saving it for another build. The barrel and bushing were a Storm Lake "drop in" and it did exactly that. Hammer and trigger are from Fusion. I like their parts, they will deliver to a PO Box and the price is generally better than Wilson. I see me using a good bit of their stuff from here on out.

The GI grip safety, and mainspring housing required a good bit of fitting where they intersect. Barrel required no fitting and gauges beautifully. The bushing required a bit of work around the lug. Slide lock required a minor fitting. The thumb safety looked like it would be a machined from barstock bitch, so I stepped back, took a deep breath and watched a few more videos to determine exactly what needed to be done. A few quick passes with a file on the 10-8 Armorers Block and it went together absolutely perfectly. Couldn't be happier. Wilson disconnector and sear fitted perfectly with the Fusion wide spur hammer. I'm happy enough with the trigger action that I won't be stoning anything. Love the trigger, all three safeties work as advertised and it seems to chamber a .45 ACP JHP with no problems. Racking the slide by hands results in a weak extraction, so I may have to tune the extractor. Still fitting the front sight with is both way oversized and hardened.

Can't wait to try it out. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

randy

Re: Ye Olde Pistol Picture Thread

Postby randy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:15 am

In the spirit of this thread, and given we got a pistol post there (that is now over here) I hereby declare the Pistol Picture Thread open!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:48 am

Let's make sure the wheelguns are represented. Starting with a pair of S&W 22's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:22 am

A somewhat more low-brow .22 revolver:

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Wrenchbender1
Case Shiner

Postby Wrenchbender1 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:38 am

Here's mine.
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:43 am

Nice. I'm a big fan of High Standard .22 pistols.

Czech Canceler:

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:45 pm

The Boss and I are kinda fans of Ruger revolvers.

revolvers (1024x576).jpg

The top row is her collection of .357s; a stainless GP-100, and blued 4-and-6-inch Security-Sixes.

Bottom row is two Bisley Vaqueros in .45 Colt, a birdshead Vaquero, also in .45 Colt, a Bisley Blackhawk in .41 Magnum, and a Bisley Single-Six.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Just Single Actions, just .45 Colt, all barrels 4.75 or 4.62. Surprisingly, I have no standard ammo for these revolvers, as these are out fast-draw revolvers and I don't want any mistake about ammo. All of these guns shoot wax bullet ammo only.

Clockwise from top. Traditions (Pietta) Liberty Edition, Ruger New Vaquero, Ruger New Vaquero, Uberti Hombre, and Uberti 1873 Cattleman.

Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Almost forgot one! A seven-shot Rossi Ladysmith, .22LR.

My grandmother carried this little pistol in her purse, or her apron pocket as far back as I can remember. At night, it went in it's case on the nightstand. Don't know if she ever shot it or not, but she always had it with her.

Don't think I've ever seen another one.

Grandma's gun (1024x576).jpg
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:16 pm

S&W Model 66, no dash, 2.5", with a set of custom Thailand grips. Such a great revolver!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Two Hot Latinos:

Star Super B 9x19, and a Ballester-Molina 45:

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:52 pm

When we get together with family, shooting is usually involved, and we've learned to specify long gun or hand gun. Generally, something like this results.

This doesn't count, of course, the ones on our belts or in our pockets.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:53 pm

There's no replacement for displacement. Old model Vaquero, 45 Colt.

Bought for a song to shoot a time or two and flip. Turned into a favorite and a keeper.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:18 pm

blackeagle603 wrote:There's no replacement for displacement. Old model Vaquero, 45 Colt.

Bought for a song to shoot a time or two and flip. Turned into a favorite and a keeper.
I put one of those on layaway today. Mine is the blued, with the 7.5" barrel. I'll use it in the Shootist category.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:20 pm

I got this one off layaway today, for my younger son who is a cop. Smith and Wesson 36-1, 3" heavy barrel. It should make a great plainclothes or CCW piece. I haven't seen a 3" barreled 36 in years.

Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:46 pm

PawPaw wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:There's no replacement for displacement. Old model Vaquero, 45 Colt.

I put one of those on layaway today. Mine is the blued, with the 7.5" barrel. I'll use it in the Shootist category.

PawPaw, I hope yours is a New Vaquero. It saddens me to see one of the old models being used for wax bullets when they can easily handle those big thumpin' cast bullet loads. :)
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 am

First Shirt wrote:PawPaw, I hope yours is a New Vaquero. It saddens me to see one of the old models being used for wax bullets when they can easily handle those big thumpin' cast bullet loads. :)

Sorry, Top, it's an old model. The serial number is really interesting. Under 100 interesting. Well under. Like under 50 interesting. I feel like this one came out of the factory the first week Vaqueros were shipped, way back in '93.

But, I have a Ruger that will handle heavy loads. Here's a pic of my daughter-in-law in full recoil trying her hand at the SBH. I've had this one for several years and love packing it in the deer woods.

Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:05 am

If I can find a new model with the 7.5 bbl, would you consider a trade??
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:06 am

First Shirt wrote:If I can find a new model with the 7.5 bbl, would you consider a trade??
I dunno, maybe, it depends on what you find. I won't get it off layaway until just after Christmas, so we have plenty of time to consider. I'll stop by the shop next week and try to get some good photos.

Still, no promises. I've been looking at this pistol for three months and jumped on it when he lowered the price.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:00 am

If I can find one, it will be a .45 Colt, New Vaquero, with a 7.5 inch bbl. And I'll trade straight up.

Hell, I'll even deliver it!
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Darrell
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Darrell » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:14 am

Heck, I'll play:

S&W Model 19-3:

SW19-3 030sm.jpg

SW19-3 033sm.jpg

I've posted about the gun before. Had to have some work done for light primer strikes, shoots like a dream now.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:51 am

Darrel, AlaskaTRX has the near-twin of that revolver.

Jered

Postby Jered » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:55 am

Smith and Wesson Model 57

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:12 am

Moar shooty goodness.

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:33 pm

No handgun picture thread would be complete without the ubiquitous Smith and Wesson 66. This stanless handgun, for nearly two decades was the go-to law enforcement handgun all over the US. From the time it was introduced in 1970 until the wonder-nine period of the 1990s, it was almost the quintessential police revolver. I carrid this one for almost two decades.

It's been retired after honorable service, but it still bucks and pops when we get out the revolvers on a Sunday afternoon for some real shooting. Below, my daughter is trying it on.

Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

JustinR
Trigger Junkie

Postby JustinR » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:45 am

Just a plain old Glock 23 4th gen with Trijicon night sights I installed and a Storm Lake barrel. Nothing to see here, move along.
IMG_0864.JPG

Oh, and when you install sights yourself, it's always good to test things before you use them for social work, like anything else. I followed the YouTube (professional gunsmith's) advice and didn't put so much Loctite on the front sight bolt that it would drip down when it got hot and seize the barrel to the slide (as he had done once.) But, after shooting the Osprey the first time and cleaning the weapon, I realized the bolt had backed out 1/8 of a turn or so, enough for it to be loose. It still took some effort to break it loose with the Glock front sight tool, and clean the threads of the remaining Loctite, but this time I used enough it won't come loose for a good while.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:29 am

Finished the layaway on this a while back. 1992 Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP. It pays to be a regular. $565. :mrgreen:

p220.jpg
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:10 pm

JustinR wrote:Oh, and when you install sights yourself, it's always good to test things before you use them for social work, like anything else. I followed the YouTube (professional gunsmith's) advice and didn't put so much Loctite on the front sight bolt that it would drip down when it got hot and seize the barrel to the slide (as he had done once.) But, after shooting the Osprey the first time and cleaning the weapon, I realized the bolt had backed out 1/8 of a turn or so, enough for it to be loose. It still took some effort to break it loose with the Glock front sight tool, and clean the threads of the remaining Loctite, but this time I used enough it won't come loose for a good while.

Perhaps next time use Rocksett instead?

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:02 pm

PawPaw wrote: I put one of those on layaway today. Mine is the blued, with the 7.5" barrel. I'll use it in the Shootist category.
I have a birthday coming up, with Christmas close behind. Yesterday, I got a text from my lady, "Go to the pawn shop and pick up your gun. I paid off the layaway." So, as instructed, I went to the pawn shop after work and filled out the 4473.

Got it home and started closely inspecting it. The action has obviously been worked by someone who knows what they were doing. The hammer comes back slick as butter and the trigger breaks with just a trace of creep and no appreciable over-travel. What really impressed me is the color in the case-hardening. It's vivid with blues and golds, much nicer than the standard factory job.

This morning, showing it to a coworker, he noticed a tiny stamped logo on the left side of the frame. I've done a Google search looking for the logo and have reason to believe that I've done very well on this revolver. Very well indeed. I've got an email in to the outfit that I believed worked the revolver and when I get a reply, I'll talk about it. Until then, it's speculation, but I'm 955 certain I know who did the job.

Another interesting note, there is a name engraved on the grip frame, in very fine script engraving. I've done a Google search for the name, with no result. Hopefully the outfit, when they respond will be able to tell me more about the provenance of this remarkable find.

One downer, though. My lady likes the revolver. Likes it a lot. It fits her hand and she's able to operate it due to the fine action work. She may be commissioning a long-gun holster even as I type this post. Just damn.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:37 pm

I have that problem with anything .357. I bring it in, say "Honey, look what I got!" and she says "Thank you, I didn't have one of those!"

So far, it's cost me two Security-Sixes and a Rossi Trapper. And that's not counting the mouse-gun .38 snubbies. I mean, really, how many 2-inch .38 Spcls does a grandma need?
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:49 pm

On closer inspection of the revolver, I find an interesting logo.

That pic was taken with my cell phone, but it gives us enough detail to show a rampant bull in a circle. I'm pretty sure I know who made that logo and I have an email in to them for verification.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Hope that works out for you. His reputation for stellar work is, I suspect, well deserved.

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:09 am

It followed me home! Now I have four Tomcats to take care of: one tabby, one all black, one old ginger who shows up every so often and now, one in .32ACP. In case of an invasion by inbred Austrian archdukes I'm set.

soupstomcat.jpg
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:02 am

Steamforger wrote:Hope that works out for you. His reputation for stellar work is, I suspect, well deserved.

It is, based on the few examples I've gotten to eyeball. :ugeek:

Still haven't gotten one to shoot though. :cry:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:30 pm

I forgot I had some photos of this. CZ27. It was my grandmother's carry gun. I don't know where my grandfather got it, but it has WaffenAmt markings on it. I remember shooting it into the back yard on New Year's eve at my grandfather's house. In town. I bet people don't do that any more. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:17 pm

New acquisition. I took it out for a test drive this weekend and it ran flawlessly. It came with some hideous Pachmeyers that made an already fat grip nigh un-grabable. Some fresh checkered rosewood scales changed the grip into something pretty damned good. I'm currently seriously considering this for a small-ish, hi-cap 9mm for EDC.

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:48 am

I have that exact model of pistol, Steamforger. Technically, it's Dad's but he doesn't shoot it anymore. He also has the super-thick Pachmayrs on his.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds

randy

Postby randy » Sun May 22, 2016 3:04 am

Went to a hamfest today. Didn't find anything to spend money on, so buddy and I made the rounds of the local MODs and I found this:

G17 21May16 a.jpg

Glock 17, 3rd Gen if I understand the nuances properly.

$469.00 plus tax, including Trijicon night sites and 3 mags, which puts at least a $100.00 under a new one in these parts. Maybe not a smoking deal, but I think a good one.

Here's a crappy picture of the sites. had never seen the diamond shape before, but they seemed to work well. Front site is very distinctive and the green surrounding the tritium element picks up ambient light very well (eta: Found out these are "Speed Sights"

G17 Sites 21May16a.jpg

Took it right to the range and put a box through it with no malfunctions. I'm happy.

Nothing particularly special about it. But I have been contemplating taking my Hi Power off of CCW duty for something with more accessories and parts availability and something I won't be saddened (other than financially) if it went into an evidence locker should I ever have to use it. Is Glock. Is shoot. Can be easily, and relatively cheaply (as in 2 Glocks for 1 BHP at full retail) replaced.

Any excuse, and as my buddy said on the way home "Today was a good day to buy!" [/Worf]

ETA: Just noticed that the cocking serrations at the rear of the slide don't look factory original. Custom?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Rod
Active Shooter

Postby Rod » Sun May 22, 2016 3:19 am

Sold my reloading setup and used some of the money to invest smartly, the rest I frivolously spent paying bills.
IMG_0397.JPG
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Sun May 29, 2016 4:28 am

Happy Gaturday.

Springfield XDM 4.5" 9mm. It worked some kind of voodoo on me at the counter.

ETA- After a couple of range outings, some things are very noticeable. Trigger pull is stout and apparently measures around 7.5 lbs. I was hitting left and low pretty consistently. Reading up on this it seems that most people will. Some drift the sights, but I did find one review where the guy changed the backstrap and his issues went away. Mine arrived with the #2 installed and it was pretty easy to get my entire paw around the grip and my trigger naturally went straight to the joint and not on the pad. I changed it out for the #3 and found my trigger finger now preferred something much more akin to a correct placement. Shots after were centered. I did manage to hit a 8" steel plate at an estimated 175 yds (using the Google Earf), but it took most of the mag to do so and was probably more luck than anything I did. All the other shots were definitely in goblin-sized territory though. For the record, I like holding over.

The thread protector will back off and unscrew itself approx. halfway by the time you get through two mags. I'll have to look into scrounging an o ring for it. This seems to fix the problem reliably.

I also read the trigger doesn't really break in over time and the pull is expected to be fairly consistent over the lifetime of the pistol. It's certainly serviceable as is, but I can't help but notice Brownells has a drop in replacement. Hmmmmm.
Last edited by Steamforger on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustinR
Trigger Junkie

Postby JustinR » Sun May 29, 2016 5:47 am

randy wrote:ETA: Just noticed that the cocking serrations at the rear of the slide don't look factory original. Custom?

Nope, it's a factory RTF2 gun, third gen like you said.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL

randy

Postby randy » Sun May 29, 2016 10:15 am

JustinR wrote:
randy wrote:ETA: Just noticed that the cocking serrations at the rear of the slide don't look factory original. Custom?

Nope, it's a factory RTF2 gun, third gen like you said.

Thanks. Had not been paying attention to Glock developments and didn't know about RTF2 vs other frames. I barely realized the different generations.

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Sun May 29, 2016 12:10 pm

SoupOrMan wrote:It followed me home! Now I have four Tomcats to take care of: one tabby, one all black, one old ginger who shows up every so often and now, one in .32ACP. In case of an invasion by inbred Austrian archdukes I'm set.

soupstomcat.jpg

Awhile back I was babysitting a .25 APC Jetfire for a friend until her housing situation swiched to one where she could keep it in her nightstand. She has issues with working the slide on a regular slide, so the tip-up barrel is a very useful feature.

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Sun May 29, 2016 1:26 pm

The Ruby pistol. An interesting artifact, a copy of the Browning 1903. This copy was produced in Spain, for the French army. It's in .32 ACP. Produced in over 50 variants, a collector could spend the rest of his life, and a pretty good chunk of change collecting these things.

This one has been in my family since the late '50s at least. I got it from my Dad, who got it from his uncle. A son recently expressed interest in it, and it has gone home with him.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Tue May 31, 2016 4:35 am

I don't know what it is with .32ACP. It's not a great cartridge, but it's especially handy in smaller pistols.

Jered

Postby Jered » Tue May 31, 2016 5:56 am

SoupOrMan wrote:I don't know what it is with .32ACP. It's not a great cartridge, but it's especially handy in smaller pistols.

It was enough to kick off a century of bloodletting.

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:11 pm

That was actually .380. Princip's real problem was that he didn't have the proper tags for Inbred Austrian Archduke.

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:25 pm

Picked this up at Academy Sports today. 9mm M&P, with the manual safety to make it easier to tell from the .40 cal one I've had for years. It also has a tactile loaded chamber indicator and that odd USPOL number down the right side, as well as the serial number being repeated on the slide and barrel. Anyone have any idea what that marking is about?

20160606_131727.jpg

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Yin and Yang have a turn on the Humidor O' DOOOOOM. Yin is a Kel-Tec P-40, and Yang is a matte chromed Kel-Tec P-11.

20160608_123839.jpg

Jered

Postby Jered » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:59 am

Somehow this ended up in my house...

No jokes about powdering balls. :lol:

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:27 pm

20160618_111104_zpsvaat798p.jpg

Given that I'm a volunteer for Project Blazing Sword, I figured it was about time I had a .22 pistol. No one at the Fun Show this weekend had a Whitney Wolverine for sale, so I picked up a 22/45 Lite instead.

(And anyone who says that Bill Ruger didn't hate gun owners has never had to strip & reassemble one of these things. :x )

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:59 am

Had dinner at AlaskaTRX's house tonight with his family. I took my Not A Rifle in .45 Colt, and for shits and grins we installed his SiCo Octane 45HD using my .578-28 piston and fixed barrel spacer. I probably have at least a couple months to go before I can get my own Octane out of NFA Jail, but the SBR stamp ought to be approved any $%*^&$*^&#% day now based on obsessively watching the data roll in at nfatracker. We haven't fired the combo yet.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:59 pm

I really need to get a form in for that short AR. Maybe 2 forms.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:23 pm

AAAAND the approved Form 1 just rolled in. Coming soon to another thread once the stock arrives. 8-)

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Ended up being more like 2-1/2 months on the Octane. Pictured here mounted on my G20 with the Beach Towel of Death.

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:13 am

pron.jpg
pron4.jpg
pron7.jpg
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig

AlaskaTRX
Loose Cannon

Postby AlaskaTRX » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:16 am

image.jpeg

:)

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:19 pm

FelixEstrella wrote:
pron.jpg
pron4.jpg
pron7.jpg

Any chance you could send me your parts list? I've got a Delta Elite that could use some upgrades.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:37 pm

Langenator wrote:
FelixEstrella wrote:
pron.jpg
pron4.jpg
pron7.jpg

Any chance you could send me your parts list? I've got a Delta Elite that could use some upgrades.

Of course. Here there are no secrets. Starting with a Springfield lower (didn't muck with ejector or plunger tube), barrel, bushing, linkage, full-length guide rod, slide lock, and leaf spring, I added:

* STI Unique Slide 1911 Government 45 ACP STI Front Sight Cut and Bo-Mar Rear Sight Cut, Rear Cocking Serrations, Steel in the White (hand-polished on felt wheel)
* STI Adjustable Night Sight Set 1911 STI Front Cut and Bo-Mar Rear Cut Steel Blue Tritium
* STI Firing Pin Stop 1911 45 ACP Series 70 with Bo-Mar Sight Cut Steel Blue
* Les Baer Custom Deluxe Match Commander Hammer and Sear 1911 Steel the White
* Ed Brown Mainspring Housing Flat with Drop-In Maxi-Well 1911 Government, Commander Checkered 25 LPI
* Wilson Combat Extended Thumb Safety 1911
* Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Extractor 1911 45 ACP Series 70
* 1911 FIRING PIN (.068")
* Ed Brown Beavertail Grip Safety with Memory Groove 1911 Series 70
* Wilson Combat Complete Pin Set 1911
* Wolff 24lb recoil spring set.
* Wolff 23lb hammer spring

Stocks are faux ivory with faux Delta Elite medallions (yes, orientation is intentional).
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:10 pm

FelixEstrella wrote:
Langenator wrote:
FelixEstrella wrote:
pron.jpg
pron4.jpg
pron7.jpg

Of course. Here there are no secrets. Starting with a Springfield lower (didn't muck with ejector or plunger tube), barrel, bushing, linkage, full-length guide rod, slide lock, and leaf spring, I added:

* STI Unique Slide 1911 Government 45 ACP STI Front Sight Cut and Bo-Mar Rear Sight Cut, Rear Cocking Serrations, Steel in the White (hand-polished on felt wheel)
* STI Adjustable Night Sight Set 1911 STI Front Cut and Bo-Mar Rear Cut Steel Blue Tritium
* STI Firing Pin Stop 1911 45 ACP Series 70 with Bo-Mar Sight Cut Steel Blue
* Les Baer Custom Deluxe Match Commander Hammer and Sear 1911 Steel the White
* Ed Brown Mainspring Housing Flat with Drop-In Maxi-Well 1911 Government, Commander Checkered 25 LPI
* Wilson Combat Extended Thumb Safety 1911
* Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Extractor 1911 45 ACP Series 70
* 1911 FIRING PIN (.068")
* Ed Brown Beavertail Grip Safety with Memory Groove 1911 Series 70
* Wilson Combat Complete Pin Set 1911
* Wolff 24lb recoil spring set.
* Wolff 23lb hammer spring

Stocks are faux ivory with faux Delta Elite medallions (yes, orientation is intentional).

Is the trigger stock Springfield? One of the things I want to replace is the Delta's smooth and rounded trigger.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:21 pm

SoupOrMan wrote:That was actually .380. Princip's real problem was that he didn't have the proper tags for Inbred Austrian Archduke.

So why all the hate on old Franz on this thread? The ironic thing about the Serbs killing him was that he was actually an advocate for the Slavs in the Empire and was planning on federalizing the empire so that each area had local governance.

It is entirely possible he would have ended up being a crappy Emperor (like his uncle) - but WW1 was certainly not his fault. (He was also a dove relative to relations with Serbia and Russia.)

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Langenator wrote:Is the trigger stock Springfield? One of the things I want to replace is the Delta's smooth and rounded trigger.

Dammit. Forgot to mention that part. It's a

* Wilson Combat Ultralight Match Trigger 1911 Aluminum Silver
Blogspot
picsig

randy

Postby randy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:18 pm

First Shirt wrote: I mean, really, how many 2-inch .38 Spcls does a grandma need?

All of them? :twisted:

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:29 am

Vonz90 wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote:That was actually .380. Princip's real problem was that he didn't have the proper tags for Inbred Austrian Archduke.

So why all the hate on old Franz on this thread? The ironic thing about the Serbs killing him was that he was actually an advocate for the Slavs in the Empire and was planning on federalizing the empire so that each area had local governance.

It is entirely possible he would have ended up being a crappy Emperor (like his uncle) - but WW1 was certainly not his fault. (He was also a dove relative to relations with Serbia and Russia.)

No hate for him, just that royalty wasn't in season. (As for World War I, you can pretty much blame the Serbian government for that.)

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:05 am

So beautiful it hurts.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg
Blogspot
picsig

ShooterScott

Postby ShooterScott » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Jered wrote:Somehow this ended up in my house...

No jokes about powdering balls. :lol:

Sweet piece man, very jealous!!
Ex Coast Guard, Full time assistant cook, part time blogger

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:16 am

ShooterScott wrote:Sweet piece man, very jealous!!

Welcome. Pull up a chair, stay a while. :D

Jered

Postby Jered » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:00 am

ShooterScott wrote:
Sweet piece man, very jealous!!

Glad you like it.

Clint Eastwood made me a fan of 1858s.

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:48 am

Jered wrote:
Clint Eastwood made me a fan of 1858s.

I was under the impression that "The man with no name" used 1851 Navy conversions.

Navy51S.jpg
Blogspot
picsig

Jered

Postby Jered » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:56 am

FelixEstrella wrote:
I was under the impression that "The man with no name" used 1851 Navy conversions.

In Pale Rider he carried an 1858 cartridge conversion

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:01 am

Jered wrote:
In Pale Rider he carried an 1858 cartridge conversion

Indeed!
Blogspot
picsig

Frankingun
Trigger Junkie

Postby Frankingun » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:02 am

New addition to the stable. NAA mini .22lr 1 5/8 inch barrel.

Do I name it Nancy or Mini Me?
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.

Frankingun
Trigger Junkie

Postby Frankingun » Wed May 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Necropost, arise!

Guess the last post was also mine. Are we slowly dying in favor of FaceTube? Anyhow, they told me it was used:
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 pm

Frankingun wrote:Are we slowly dying in favor of FaceTube?

Nobody left but us diehards.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Thu May 25, 2017 12:11 am

I've always worked on the theory that one cannot have too many .45 caliber handguns, so when a co-worker offered this one for sale at an extremely reasonable price, I took him up on his offer before he changed his mind or came to his senses. The .45 ACP cylinder is just a bonus, and it's the large-frame version of the Blackhawk, so it handles my favorite handload quite well, although the base pin has a tendency to jump under recoil, but a Belt Mountain pin is en route to fix that minor problem.
new ruger (1024x576).jpg
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:25 am

LEO trade in Sig P226 .40 S&W. I had read hit or miss reviews on Reddit about the condition of these so I was worried a bit. The lower priced versions looked pretty beat up. I paid extra for the select grade and threw another $10 for hand picked (best of 5).

Looks like it paid off.

The good: Condition is excellent. It looks practically new on the outside and internals are virtually pristine. The holes for the barrel and guide rod in the slide, where the Sig coating didn't quite reach, do show some heat discoloration. It also has the cheater night sights. They quickly charge in daylight or with a flashlight and glow brightly. Background glow from my phone's screen is enough to get them glowing. The fit in the hand rivals my Beagle. It's that good. The one magazine it came with is phosphated and holds 12 rounds. I have three new Mec-Gar 15 rnd mags on the way. .357 Sig is just a barrel change. There's some debate on 9mm requiring a new slide and 9mm magazines, but I'm in no hurry. Bar-Sto apparently makes a barrel that is semi fit and doesn't require the new slide.

The meh: DAK trigger. I knew this when I bought it, but it seems it is widely hated and the sole reason for the >50% price slashing. For those unfamiliar, picture a DAO trigger with a half cock. Short reset to the half cock after firing = 6.5 lb trigger pull. Full length reset = 4.5 lb trigger pull. The DAK trigger will allow further tries for a round that fails to fire though.

I took it out the first day and ran a box of Blazer Brass through it. I'd forgotten the oomph of .40 as compared to 9mm. Accuracy at 7 yards was excellent. At 25 yards it became clear that my trigger discipline and the DAK trigger are going to take some effort from me. Ejection is "vigorous."

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. Even if I did go for a Sig factory refit to Da/SA ($200) it still comes in well under retail. No real plans to do that as of yet, but you never can tell.

I'd do it again for sure.

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:59 am

Someday I am going to have to get my hands on a SIG. Everyone that has one seems to love it.

Rod
Active Shooter

Postby Rod » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:03 pm

I appraised this for a gun shop. Astra 3003 made in 1953. Supposedly for a Mexican General. Valued at 3500 to 4000 dollars. Still working on getting details.
IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 pm

My piston AR handgun and an update.

Since I last posted a pic of it, I've added the SD PDW brace and removed a Magpul flip up rear sight. I have another 10.5" upper that needed it. I'll probably pick up another next time I'm at the MoD. A flaming Pig made it's way onto the upper as well.

The Adams Arms piston upper just keeps chugging along. This thing has been perfect in function. My only complaint is the Samson forearm isn't my favorite example ever, but it does what it needs to do. I didn't want to put a fixed rear sight back on this one to clutter up the Vortex, so I went into my box o' parts and found an LMT rear sight and DD rear sight. I'd remembered an old pic where an Oper8tor had moved the carry handle to the bottom rail so it wouldn't get lost and didn't clutter up the optic. The DD fixed rear sight makes a nearly perfect handstop. The ears protect the peeps, and other than that, it's basically a solid piece of aluminium. I may let this ride for a while and see how it goes.

If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid, right???

I also added a Noveske KX5 slim Flaming Pig. Other than the printing on the can being weird (upside down?) the function of the thing is damned impressive. This rig has become a joy to shoot, for the shooter and bystanders. Looks funny, works great. It also seems that I'm building quite a collection of A2 flash hiders and stock AR grips.

The SD PDW not a stock is great. I'd get more if they weren't so damned expensive. As it was, it took 6 weeks for this one to ship after I ordered it because there was a run on them after the ATF has a momentary lapse of silliness where these were concerned.

Sorry for the blur on one side. My phone is a refurb.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:14 am

Netpackrat wrote:
JustinR wrote:Oh, and when you install sights yourself, it's always good to test things before you use them for social work, like anything else. I followed the YouTube (professional gunsmith's) advice and didn't put so much Loctite on the front sight bolt that it would drip down when it got hot and seize the barrel to the slide (as he had done once.) But, after shooting the Osprey the first time and cleaning the weapon, I realized the bolt had backed out 1/8 of a turn or so, enough for it to be loose. It still took some effort to break it loose with the Glock front sight tool, and clean the threads of the remaining Loctite, but this time I used enough it won't come loose for a good while.

Perhaps next time use Rocksett instead?

Apply a soldering iron to any screws that have been locktited that you want to remove, the heat will break the bond. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:00 am

Finished this one today.

Aero M4E1 Upper, 10.5" barrel, standard gas block front sight, 7" M-Lok handguard. Added the PA Micro Dot, though I'm not sure it will stay. That LMT rear fixed sight might be bound for this one.

Lower is an Aero Gen II. Parts are mostly Anderson and PSA. The safety gave me fits, but I finally found a good combo of lever/detent/grease that worked well.

I don't like that the SB SOB brace won't fit flush with the backplate. I should have paid more attention to the fit in pics before ordering. It'll stay for now... It just friction fits. Kind of easy on, easy off.

I also put a Troy Claymore Brake in place of the A2.

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:47 pm

px002.jpg
px001.jpg
Blogspot
picsig

randy

Postby randy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:36 am

Secure in the knowledge that Darlin' daughter doesn't lurk here (I Hope :? ), picked up her CCW piece for when she turns 21 in a few months.

Glock26.jpg

Gen 3 Glock 26. Cabela's had a sale going (probably because of the Gen 4's coming into stock). She's handled and fired many types over the years and other than the Hi Power (THEY"RE ALL MINE! MINE! MINE YOU HEAR?) this is the one that fit her the best and the one she liked the best. Most recently we spent an afternoon at a range where you pay one fee and can swap rental pistols at will. So she tried in quick succession my 17, and the rental 19, 26 and 43, and picked the 26.

Sticking with Glocks to start with as it's a platform she's used to and I know pretty well. Plus she can use one of my 17 mags as a second carry mag if needed.

She can branch out to other brands/types on her own dime later.

She doesn't know about it yet. Intend to present it to her just before her CCW course in December, and of course I can't "give" it to her until her birthday.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:57 am

Nice! Very nice, indeed! Wish I'd thought about the rental range before I started The Minions on 1911s.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:12 pm

I'd been looking for a Cougar 8000 (Full size 9mm) for some time. The last one I got a lead on I ended up missing by less than an hour. I didn't really want to go for the Stoeger and had been researching the PX4 for a little bit. AIM had a bunch of LEO trade ins show up on their website last Friday described as "Excellent+". for $329. It also came with extra backstraps, and a 17 rnd mag.

Why not.

It turns out Excellent+ means brand new, unissued, still in Beretta's protective coating and has factory tags in Italian still attached. Oh, and Trijicon night sights. the night sights are a touch on the weak side, but still visibly glow.

Color me pleased. I picked up a few boxes of different brand 124 grn and am going to give a go this afternoon.

This is the 2nd LEO trade in I've bought from AIM and I have to say I've been extremely pleased each time.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Stories like that kinda make you feel warm inside. 8-)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Jered

Postby Jered » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:04 am

I have a Beretta Cougar. It's a good pistol.

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Twinsies!
twins.jpg
Blogspot
picsig

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 am

'cause a man's gotta eat.

P2181853.JPG
P2181854.JPG
Blogspot
picsig

McClarkus
Loose Cannon

Postby McClarkus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:42 am

Yup - Cool on the beer, the gun, and whatever that brown thing is on the plate. Mom tried to get me to eat Brussels sprouts and she put a hell of a lot of effort into it. Unsuccessfully. They are best served with a fork and a pair of shoes. One can then roll them off the edge of the table into said shoes, whereupon they can be surreptitiously transferred to the bathroom for an appropriate flushing. Take the flavor of an entire head of cabbage, condense it down into one nasty little bite and there you go........... GAG!
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:54 pm

McClarkus wrote:Yup - Cool on the beer, the gun, and whatever that brown thing is on the plate. Mom tried to get me to eat Brussels sprouts and she put a hell of a lot of effort into it. Unsuccessfully. They are best served with a fork and a pair of shoes. One can then roll them off the edge of the table into said shoes, whereupon they can be surreptitiously transferred to the bathroom for an appropriate flushing. Take the flavor of an entire head of cabbage, condense it down into one nasty little bite and there you go........... GAG!

I do not understand this post. Brussels sprouts are great (the wife does not like them - it must be a black thing, but the kids frequently bug me to make them).

McClarkus
Loose Cannon

Postby McClarkus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:58 pm

The shoe thing actually took place back in high school. I just have an aversion to them so I avoid them now. My sister recently tried loading them with cheese, bacon and salt, - oven roasted - and it still didn't work for me.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:50 pm

I do not like brussel sprouts. Full stop.

randy

Postby randy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 am

Steamforger wrote:I do not like brussel sprouts. Full stop.

I approve of this message.

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 pm

p1.jpeg
p2.jpeg
Blogspot
picsig

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:50 am

Vonz90 wrote:
McClarkus wrote:Brussels sprouts are great

QFT.

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:05 am

Just a reminder: This is not a "I'm a special snowflake and want the world to know which vegetables I just can't tolerate" thread. This is a "Post pictures your fucking handgun" thread.

Thank you!
Blogspot
picsig

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:17 am

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Well, I am not much of a pistol guy, but I will try to contribute something to this thread besides snark.

Here is an LC9 shown on top of the phone it typically hides behind.

Phone.JPG

McClarkus
Loose Cannon

Postby McClarkus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 am

P239
P239.JPG

Return to “Guns and Shooting”