Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

Re: Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by Rich Jordan »

Not the best pictures, just some old ones I posted at Jouster some years ago.

Springfield 1903 Mark 1, all original parts (though its sitting in a pre-war Type C stock, I do have the original straight stock).
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I guess I forgot to post this the other day, but my scope mount came in, so I took another pic of it all together minus the can. Then I took it all back apart, and sent the upper back to Aero to find out WTF is up with the barrel threads, and hopefully get it fixed.

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

My Ishapore Enfield 2a all dressed up in a new ATI stock. It's considerably lighter and more ergonomic now. And has a recoil pad.
IMG_0545.JPG
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I posted this in another thread, but my buddy bought a bone stock Robinson VEPR, and this is what it looked like when we were through with it.

Since we went to the trouble of removing the barrel, moving the front sight block back, and having the muzzle lathe threaded by a gunsmith, I keep nudging him to get a can to put on it. The flash hider is a YHM quick mount, but only because it was the only thing we could find in 9/16-24RH at the time (post Sandy Hook panic days).

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Rich Jordan wrote:Springfield 1903 Mark 1, all original parts (though its sitting in a pre-war Type C stock, I do have the original straight stock).

I am so very jealous of you.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

blackout resized.jpg
This is the first AR I've built, in .300BLK. It has a Spikes lower with their basic trigger group, an HK 416 grip, Noveske end plate with QD sling socket, and a Magpul BAD lever. The JP Enterprises silent captured recoil buffer spring is awesome. No "sproing" sound when firing and I haven't had any malfunctions. The upper is also Spikes, with their NiB bolt group, and a majority of the carbon just wipes off. I have an ambi BCM Gunfighter charging handle and haven't noticed any gas in my face while firing suppressed. The Midwest Industries M-LOC free float handguard is light and easy to hold with its small diameter, and has multiple QD points. Barrel is a Daniel Defense 16" with carbine length gas system, and their gas block, which was pretty painless to install. On the front is my 30 cal Saker with Silencerco's muzzle brake mount.

I was already an AFOL, but next I want to build a 5.56 upper for SHTF scenarios.

Oh, and purchase a TAC-CON 3MR trigger. :twisted:
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A bit of a work in progress, AK SBR:

I originally built this as a pistol using a matching AMD-65 kit, a serial matched NDS-1 receiver back when they were still doing that, and a pistol trunnion from AK-Builder.com. Later I decided that the AK pistol was kind of useless, and I permanently attached an extended muzzle brake by blind pinning. Some time after that, I decided I didn't like the muzzle brake, and wanted something different. Earlier this year after having my trust drawn up, I e-filed a form 1 to make it into an SBR at the original length.

Since I wanted suppressor quality threading, I bought a 4150 "nitride" barrel from AK builder, installed it, and then pressed it back off. I got it back last night from the gunsmith who shortened and threaded it, so I put it all back together, along with a 1/2-28 51T flash hider to fit my SDN-6. This one is locking up tightly, for now, so hopefully it will stay that way. It's the mount I originally had on my CZ that the can wouldn't lock up tight on, so I guess it just needed a few more install/remove cycles or something. Checked it with the Giessele alignment rod, and while it is not as well centered as the other two rifles the same smith threaded for me, it isn't as bad as the AR I am still fighting with, so I'm not going to worry about it. That method of checking alignment is only just so accurate anyway.

This has the RSA trigger group, and one of my own stocks. There is an ACE mechanism for it, but I have it removed temporarily so I can install an 8x Russian scope on the side rail (I was still enamored of them when I originally built this) for bench testing with Lapua ammo. Depending on the results of that testing, I may put a 1-4 variable on it with a TWS, otherwise a red dot of some kind. If I go with the magnified optic I will build a different stock with an adjustable cheek rest like I have on my Saiga .308. Currently planning a Gunkote finish in AK black... curing oven is under construction.

I actually have a couple different styles of combo front sight/gas block units, that I considered using. Since I wanted to stay with the 12.6" barrel length, I decided that it looked better with the original parts, though I did push the FSB back a little. The AMD-65 furniture (which I don't care for, although the stocks are OK if you want something minimalist) is long sold; I put a standard lower handguard retainer on when I rebarreled it, and the gas tube is a standard AK unit that I shortened and flared to fit the gas block, so I could use a standard upper handguard.

PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

One of my favorites: Winchester Model 94. Standard lever carbine.

This one is called the Antique Carbine, made after 1964,(this example, in '65) it was Winchester's first attempt to placate the folks who were outraged at stamped parts rather than forged parts. It's a very nice shooting rifle, but has been described as "Wincheter's attempt to put lipstick on a pig."
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I may have mentioned in another thread, that I got the upper back from Aero, and they put a new barrel on it. Found that I had the same alignment issue in a different direction. Since the odds of getting TWO barrels from the same reputable manufacturer seemed low, I dug deeper in search of what the issue might be. I'd already tried a second mount on the previous barrel, so a defect there also seemed unlikely. Determined that the mount was bottoming on the face of the muzzle, rather than the thread shoulder, but that it wasn't visually apparent because AAC's [strike]deep[/strike] derp socket style of flash hider obscures that interface from view. Measuring both parts, it looked to be a gap of around .050". I don't know whose parts are to blame, the barrels or the mounts, but I ordered a couple of AAC timing shim kits from Silencer Shop.

Shims came in today... I put two of the .030" shims under the flash hider and the can alignment is great now. Reassembled with rocksett... Found that I was just barely able to tighten the can on the mount far enough to get the latch to click over the last tooth, so its good and tight, for now. We'll see how long that lasts once I start shooting it. I'm going to have to write Aero Precision and let them know that they may have an incompatibility between their barrel threads and AAC's mounts.

I'm going to try to finally get it to the range in the morning, if the weather doesn't turn bad sooner than it is forecast to.

JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Glad you're finally having some luck with that NPR, let us know how it does.