Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Steamforger

Re: Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by Steamforger »

randy wrote:
CombatController wrote:I like the AK as a cheap truck gun but I am better with AR controls under stress, it doesn't have a curved and therefore "shoot on sight" mag, etc, etc. I'm not going to war with it, if I have to get into the trunk and grab it and my body armor things have gotten hairy. Either active shooter hairy and I feel like tucking in (so there is a chance folks think I'm a cop) or "help! Help! We're all gonna die!" and then it doesn't matter.
I ran your theory about the "shoot on sight" between an AK and an AR in this type scenario past a friend of mine in LE. He thought a second and said if he saw the AR, he would probably at least challenge you prior to opening up.

He didn't specifically state what he would do on spotting an AK, but I got the impression that shoot first, ask questions later would be the response.

(He also one time stated that he would be happy to testify as a character witness should I ever be accused of attempted murder, because he would know that the "attempted" part would be a damned lie)
Interesting is the CA shooters used AR's. I may do an informal FB poll and gather some more opinions.

EDIT TO ADD- I asked 8 current or former law enforcement types, all in South LA, New Orleans area.

1. Former USMC, current LEO- "How can they be an instant target? For lack of a better term, no rules of engagement have been met. Simple open carry of any weapon is not grounds for engagement."
2. Former LEO, Current US Army officer- "It would make my butt hole pucker a bit more."
3. Current LEO, former Civilian Contractor with DynCorp- "...it depends on the person perceiving the ar/ak toting individual. From a professional such as the people you are polling, we are only going to see that he is carrying a long gun (of course we are going to see what kind it is but that is just data gathering), to a libtard...they are going to say he/she is at fault no matter what they are carrying just because they are carrying a gun. To your soldier of fortune couch warrior... Yes I think he is going to see an ak as more of a negative than the ar.
4. Former LEO- "Hell the fuck no. Assess the person and gauge intent. The type of gun is irrelevant."
5. Current LEO, current US Army Reserves- "Wolverines!"
6. Current LEO and 10 year SRT commander- "Moar Dakka."- Just posted pics of Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Charlie Sheen with Ak's. "Of course good guys use AK's"

So, of the 6 with law enforcement experience that answered only one could even a little perceive an AK carrying person as an increased threat simply because of the AK. It is worth noting that he is a currently serving officer in the Army with deployments to the sandbox, and did not mention shooting instantly.

I posed the question to some folks at work while waiting for answer from those guys-
1. Former Seabee Officer with recent deployments- "I can't see where the type of weapon would be a deciding factor in a shoot/no shoot situation."
2. Former USAF Armorer (Ret)- approx 60 years old and thought "A person carrying an AK would deserve more immediate scrutiny"

I'm really beginning to believe this is a generational thing. I think that guys who were serving during or shortly after Vietnam are going to be far more likely to make that association despite the idea that an AR-carrier may or may not be a LEO. I think guys who got their shooting starts in the early 90's and afterwards are far more open to the concept that a weapon seen as a symbol of evil just a few years before is now just another tool in the toolbox.

Again, completely unscientific, informal poll conducted in a messenger app. It's worth every penny you paid for it.
Last edited by Steamforger on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
randy

Post by randy »

IIRC his reasoning was that an AR could mean the user was undercover/Off duty LE, while he is not aware of any LE agency in this area that issues/authorizes AKs. Notice he didn't say he wouldn't shoot, just that he might take the time to challenge first
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Here's a few recent acquisitions. A Hakim and a VZ-58
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
Denis

Post by Denis »

Wrenchbender1 wrote:Here's a few recent acquisitions. A Hakim and a VZ-58
Splendid! Well wear.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Interesting info! I guess I did all my training when there was still a Soviet menace so perhaps I am a bit biased.

By the way, your Hakiem looks a lot like the FN49 I found in my closet the other day I have zero recollection of buying. But hey, I have a 8mm semi auto and 2k of 8mm lying around I got in a trade a while ago.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

My latest is my first AR 10 build. Pretty basic. I just wanted to get my feet wet in the .308 AR river.
ar10.jpg
Had some trouble w. the lower. The magazines wouldn't seat all the way, so I pulled out the Dremel and shaved a bit off the bottom of the magwell. No longer a problem.

Everything but the muzzle brake and grip are PSA. I added Miculek type brake and pinned and welded it. Gun weighs in at 8#-4 oz.

The trigger setup is an enhanced polished FCG from PSA. There is very little creep and it breaks fairly cleanly at a consistent 5#. For a basic trigger upgrade (IIRC, I got it on sale for $27) it beats the ALG ACT at half the cost. A PSA rep told me he knows of no two-stage trigger that will work without modifying the hammer, so I'll stick w. this one for a while. If I like the gun, I'll upgrade to a nicer single stage.
Jered

Post by Jered »

JustinR wrote:My Ishapore Enfield 2a all dressed up in a new ATI stock. It's considerably lighter and more ergonomic now. And has a recoil pad.
I have an Ishapore 2A that's been cut down to about scout rifle length, that looks like a good idea.

(I bought it that way!) I've got a couple of other ones, too.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Wrenchbender1 wrote:Here's a few recent acquisitions. A Hakim and a VZ-58
Hah! You need a Rasheed, now!
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I got that beat, the Hakim and Rasheed's daddy:
ag42b1.jpg
ag42b2.jpg
Eppur si muove--Galileo
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I just finished this one up tonight. It's a decidedly higher-end build than my last two.
bcm.jpg

Bravo Company blemished upper receiver (one of the T marks wasn't completely painted)
BCM BCG
BCM 16" Mid-length hammer forged barrel 1:7 twist
BCM lo pro gas block and tube
Troy Medieval brake pinned and welded
Yankee Hill lower (I like the larger chamfers on the magwell)
Colt LPK
Geissele SSA trigger group
Magpul MOE Rifle stock kit
Ergo Grip
Midwest Industries 12" SS free float rail
Aimpoint PRO optic