Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Steamforger

Re: Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by Steamforger »

I went on ahead and picked up that FN SPR my friend was selling. Its a 1st Gen with the M249 barrel blank and HS Precision stock. Serial number is correct for the range. Barrel is 26" and chrome lined. The trigger is one of the smoothest I've put my paws on and, by all accounts, adjustable. I'll have to look more into that.

The glass is an old Springfield Government Gen 2 4-14x56 on unknown 2 piece bases. It has an early attempt at a ballistic reticle with hash marks for ranges on out to 1000 and it seems to track pretty decently out to 400 so far. I'd like to replace it with something a bit more betterer like a Razor HD II, but that will take some time and scrimping/looking for used ones for sale.

I loaded up some rounds Friday (Remington new brass, Hornady 168 ELD-Match, 39.0 IMR4895, 2.8 OAL) and got very good results. I know this is a slow round but it is accurate, soft shooting, and doesn't take a whole lot of powder to put together.

Sorry for potato pic. Phone camera is potato quality.
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Netpackrat wrote:Yeah, a good friend of mine has stories about a teacher who locked him in an old refrigerator box, and other special treatments in an attempt to get him to stop using his left hand. Figured that would hit a nerve. :mrgreen:
I used to be ambidextrous. In 1st grade I'd open a notebook and write on the left page with my left hand, then continue the same line on the right page with my right hand. My teacher mentioned it to my parents (Because it was pretty 'effin weird), and my step-dad decided to "convince" me to pick one. I chose left out of spite. Talk about Furious George.... :lol:
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I had the misfortune of favoring my left hand and going to Catholic School. Seems my choice was made for me. I'd be angrier, but I'm right eye dominant.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Bought a Remington "1895 Marlin' the action was rough, and a little crude, so I polished the rails etc with my trusty drummel and a little jewelers rouge every thing is smoother at this point close to my JM stamped marlins and I am now happy with my new marlin
20170825_132206.jpg
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I got a thing.
19958898_10211814133922689_6422641384043979382_n.jpg
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered, I really kind of hate you now.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Netpackrat wrote:Jered, I really kind of hate you now.
Because I've got an acceptable caliber for grizzly?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Another SBR to show off... I bought this Scorpion EVO over a year and a half ago as a pistol, and immediately submitted a Form 1 which was approved, oh, about this time last year. :oops: It's been a pretty busy year for me so I didn't get around to ordering the stock for this until a week ago, when I found that Yeti Wurks was selling them for a bit less than full price.

I swapped out the factory grip for a Yeti Wurks Switchback, which is mostly OK, and the magazine catch is one from Gear Head Works. It wasn't drop-in and I needed to remove a little metal from the catch surface to make it work 100%. Right side safety delete from I don't remember who, and the CZ custom 4 piece trigger group. Barrel was re-threaded 1/2-28 locally, and the can is my SiCo Octane 45HD with their 1/2-28 direct thread end cap.

A word about the CZ Custom trigger... I don't recommend buying it, and certainly not unless you plan to send off your trigger housing for their installation service, which seems to be required to get anywhere near the trigger pull they advertise (also, they used to advertise a lower pull weight than they currently do). It's not a drop in unit, requires some metal removal in order for the safety to engage, and OBTW it doesn't include any installation instructions. The end result is a mediocre trigger, which while still being better in every way, shape, and form than the HORRID factory trigger, is nowhere near as good as what you should get for the price (or what they lead you to expect). About the only thing it really has going for it is that you get 4 US parts for 922r purposes in one fell swoop. Ends up costing over $250 because you have to buy the disconnector separately.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

In anticipation of this becoming more and more difficult in WA, I decided to jump down the rabbit hole headfirst. Aero (who I've had tremendous results from with previous builds) just happened to be running a sale. $160 and change shipped in FDE. This was practically a blem price for a new cerakoted lower.

It should be here Friday.