Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
rightisright

Re: Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by rightisright »

Picked up a new toy today. Well, fairly new. 50 rounds down the tube.
ar 10.jpeg
I did not buy the rings, scope or bipod. Seller sold them to another buyer.

Buyer is moving to FL and getting rid of all his NJ compliant stuff. There's almost $2000 into the gun. I "stole" it for $900.

List of goods:

Black Rain Ordnance Fallout10 matched Norgard billet receiver set
Giselle SSA-E 2 stage trigger
CMMG LPK (no FCG)
Magpul grip
Vltor Rifle stock
Rainier Match 18" Barrel
VLTOR Gas block
Fortis switch .308 14" rail
NiBx Shadow Ops 7.62 BCG
BCM gunfighter handle

Only 1 nit to pick. The Fortis Switch rail is for a DPMS High Profile upper receiver. The BRO upper is Low Profile, so the rail sits up 1/16" higher than the upper rail. I'm going to put some decent glass and maybe a Burris Fast Fire type on a 45 deg. mount, so the rail issue won't bother me. If I go another route, I'll change rails.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

AK-74 in "AK Black" Gunkote:

As my first attempt it isn't perfect, but I think I learned enough that I can do my SBR now without making a total bodge of it. I need to get more black paracord and wrap the upper tube of the stock. It's still got the Mojo rear sight... I found and installed the Tech Sight that I had, but it gave me a lot of trouble (as usual) so I finally tossed it in the trash where it belongs. Glad I coated the standard cover and recoil spring retainer.

Still waiting to hear from KG on the portion of my order that was not sent, but I am beginning to think we're just SOL on that stuff. When I checked my notes, it ended up all being stuff my brother had wanted.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

AMD-65 based SBR, also in "AK Black" KG gunkote. Not sure why the finish is ending up glossy; my brother had a couple of AKs finished in the same color years ago, and they are much flatter. I'll have to work on that, although it will be a while before I do any others. Too many other things to do for now.

I've posted about this rifle before, but the basic rundown is this was originally built as a pistol with a matching numbers AMD-65 kit on a serial matched NDS receiver when they were still offering that service. I later blind pinned an extended brake on it and made a 16" rifle out of it. Last year when I SBRed it, I rebarreled it with a US 4150 "nitride" barrel from akbuilder.com, which I had shortened to AMD length and lathe threaded with suppresor-true 1/2-28 threads. Internally it has an RSA adjustable FCG set to about 4 pounds, and the usual pin retaining plate. Rear trunnion is one of AK builder's modular units that comes drilled and tapped for the Ace hinge, and the stock with adjustable kydex cheek piece is of my own design and construction. Since it takes a standard AR recoil pad, I put the fat Limbsaver on there to gain LOP more than anything since I have orangutan length arms. The flash hider is a 51T unit that accepts my SDN-6 can, and I wrote about the TWS Gen 3 rail and CMR 1-4 scope in another thread. The rifle has a few building scars on it, but overall I am pretty happy with it. Eventually I want to build a 16" version set up the same way for traveling out of state without paperwork.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

How did you get 1/2-28 threads on a 7.62 barrel? Isn't that too thin? Most 7.62 barrels I've seen or read about have been 5/8-24 (like my CMMG Mutant) or the Russkie M 14x1.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I had my gunsmith buddy thread it that way... AAC offers .30 cal mounts to fit 1/2-28, but not 14mmLH because the threads on most AKs are not suitable for mounting suppressors. They thread 9mm barrels 1/2-28, and those seem to work OK. As long as I don't try to use it as a crowbar it should be fine. My CZ-527M is also threaded 1/2-28. The next size up that I can get a suppressor mount in is 9/16-24 (which is what my Saiga .308 is threaded), and neither the AK nor the CZ had enough meat on the barrel for 9/16 with a good 90 degree shoulder, which is as critical as thread concentricity itself.

Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

After 30ish years of shooting, I finally drank the Koolaid. :?
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Wrenchbender1 wrote:After 30ish years of shooting, I finally drank the Koolaid. :?
Nice optic. What's the parts list?
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

This old thing is one of my favorites.

Thompson/Center Renegade in .54 caliber. For probably 15 years it was the only recreational rifle I carried. Shot deer, hogs and other varmints with it. I settled on a load that was fairly mild; a round ball, pillow-ticking patch and 60 grains of FFg. That load did everything.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

rightisright wrote:Nice optic. What's the parts list?
Not much right now, just a stock PSA AR-15. I'm thinking about changing the trigger group out for a Geissele, and building a billet upper with a heavy 20" Criterion barrel. I have a SWFA scope lying around that I want to try out.
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
Jered

Post by Jered »

So...umm I got this:

It's twice as evil because it's used on the pore'n'starvin Palestinians.

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.