Best new .22s

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JohnOC

Best new .22s

Post by JohnOC »

Starting from the ground up, basically, after needing to sell most of my guns over the last couple years.
Ground floor, .22lr pistol and rifle, one each, for family use. Me, my wife, and 8 and 9 year old boys with some shooting experience.

My inclination is a 10/22, possibly a 10/22 takedown for the rifle. Other suggestions welcome.
I was considering seeing if the kids wanted to shoot the NRA marksmanship program, I remember having a lot of fun doing that in summer camp.
I'm not opposed to a magazine fed bolt-gun instead of a semi-auto, but the 10/22 platform is almost as popular for add-on accessories as the AR platform, and that has some appeal.

Pistol is wide open. Probably an auto rather than a revolver. My wife liked the look of some of the 1911 pattern .22 pistols in the case at Cabela's, but we didn't get to coonfinger any because they were too busy.
I've previously owned a Ruger MK2 and I'm not a fan, Also previously had a buckmark, and really liked it, but the grip might be a bit large for children's hands.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Greg

Re: Best new .22s

Post by Greg »

Buckmarks come in several different grip styles now, and some of them are different sizes. Might be worth a closer look.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

My daughter loves "her" Buckmark (Micro Bull barrel), which we purchased when she was 9. No issues with the grip.
MVC-066S.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Budget?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Keeping it simple:

Boltie: Savage

Semi long gun: 10/22

Semi handgun: Buckmark

Revolver: Single Six
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Buckmark or Beretta Neos for the pistol.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Semi-Auto 22 handgun? Hard to beat the price of a S&W 22A and they're nice shooters.
Had some FTF's at first but was due to hangup inside the mag. Runs fine now since deburring the inside of the magazine where the slot is cut for the mag batch. Also I forego shooting hollowpts as they can get tripped up in there it seems. It was as simple going in and a few times with a bit of crocus cloth wrapped on a dowel inside that front curve of the mag. Mr. Completely had the same issue and fix on his 22A.

22 long guns? Old bolties are my favorite for what you describe. Simpler and slower the better. Best of all a single shot pull to cock boltie.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The Savage Mk II is a great value for the price, with the added advantage of being available in lefty versions, as well as minion-sized configurations.

For handguns, I really like the Kimber conversion unit for my full-sized 1911, with the obvious benefit of being easily changed back to .45 ACP.

Free advice, and worth every penny you paid for it.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Get an operative td or operative b from thompson machine for the rifle.
Ruger sr22 or one if the mark series for the pistol.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I've been really happy with my Mark III 22/45. It has the feel of my 1911 down pretty well. I may get a lighter top end to it from Volquartsen or TacSol when I get a chance.

As for .22s, the detachable magazine from a 10/22 is nice. I have Western Auto-branded Marlin 60, though. It's old but shoots nicely. If you can find a used Marlin 60 in decent condition it'll make a nice starter. 17 rounds of .22 isn't bad to start, and the tube reloading process will teach a little patience to new shooters.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds