Reminder to be Careful

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
John_in_Longview

Reminder to be Careful

Post by John_in_Longview »

A high school friend of mine lost her husband this week due to an accidental discharge. From the early reports, he was taking a shotgun out of the trunk of his vehicle in his garage, when the shotgun fired and killed him.
PawPaw

Re: Reminder to be Careful

Post by PawPaw »

What's the odds of that? Loaded shotgun and he's dragging it out by the barrel? Maybe it's just the cop in me, but sumthin' don't sound right.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Not that strange; some mistakes in life you don't get to make twice.
Pulling a loaded shotgun out barrel-first being high on that list.
Anybody who puts a shotgun in the trunk with a round chambered is a dumbass asking for cashing in his life insurance policy in the first place.
This guy won that lottery prize.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

PawPaw wrote:What's the odds of that? Loaded shotgun and he's dragging it out by the barrel? Maybe it's just the cop in me, but sumthin' don't sound right.
I misread the news report. Police reported he "may" have been retrieving the shotgun from the trunk of the car. I guess it is possible he was taking other items out of the trunk and the trigger got snagged. Police say it appears not to have been a homicide.

Edit: A second news report says he was carrying several items when the shotgun discharged. Not sure how that would be determined unless someone saw the accident happen.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

John_in_Longview wrote:I misread the news report. Police reported he "may" have been retrieving the shotgun from the trunk of the car. I guess it is possible he was taking other items out of the trunk and the trigger got snagged. Police say it appears not to have been a homicide.

Edit: A second news report says he was carrying several items when the shotgun discharged. Not sure how that would be determined unless someone saw the accident happen.
That's even goofy-er than the first report. This is getting curiouser and curiouser. If I was handling his life insurance policy, I'd want a close investigation, especially if it had a suicide clause.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

hold on... didn't I just watch this episode of Longmire last night?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

The shotgun was obviously being carried loaded and almost certainly not cased. I suppose that the shotgun could have been dropped, catching on something at some point or the victim trying to catch the falling gun with disastrous consequences.
toad

Post by toad »

Which reminds me, in the future I'm thinking about getting a folding stock Rock River Arms piston rifle. I've been thinking that carrying it with even a loaded magazine and the chamber empty in a discrete carrying case back and forth to the range is not a good idea. A different risk but I think it would be better to remove the firearm then insert the magazine and rack it, while concealment if possible would be the safest way to go :?:
I have a Texas CHL for my pistol that I consider my primary self defense but even there I think taking cover or concealment first, if possible to evaluate the threat before I draw is the way to go. :?:
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

It happened at a hunt club I know. Hunter had to take cell phone call. Put gun on seat in cab of truck. Put leash on dog. Talked on phone for 20 min or so. Reached for shotgun by barrel. Gun discharged into his chest.

Hunt club manager found him later in the day when he didn't check out of his field. Dog was still tied to the truck.

Most of my fellow hunters think I have OCD. My rules are:

1. If at least one hand is on the gun, I can have a round chambered.
2. If rifle is slung over my back, I can have rounds in magazine, but no round in chamber.
3. If I'm climbing over a fence or passing a gun to a friend while climbing over a fence, gun is unloaded first (why I like magazine fed bolt action rifles).
4. If I go into a vehicle, gun is unloaded first.
5. If gun is racked or put somewhere on vehicle or camp, it is always unloaded.

Yeah, it gets repetitive, and it's a PITA sometimes. I haven't managed to shoot myself, yet.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe