Reminder to be Careful

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Re: Reminder to be Careful

Post by First Shirt »

I've preached this sermon until I'm blue in the face! The kids learned it, the Minions learned it, and, G-d willing, the Minions kids will learn it.

IF YOU FOLLOW THE FOUR RULES RELIGIOUSLY, YOU WILL NEVER SEND A ROUND DOWN RANGE UNINTENTIONALLY!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

That's why my truck shotgun rides in a scabbard.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

The term is negligent. And the shooter should be arrested and jailed.... unless occupied with being buried.
Erik

Post by Erik »

D5CAV wrote:1. If at least one hand is on the gun, I can have a round chambered.
2. If rifle is slung over my back, I can have rounds in magazine, but no round in chamber.
3. If I'm climbing over a fence or passing a gun to a friend while climbing over a fence, gun is unloaded first (why I like magazine fed bolt action rifles).
4. If I go into a vehicle, gun is unloaded first.
5. If gun is racked or put somewhere on vehicle or camp, it is always unloaded.
That's actually pretty close to the safe gunhandling test for the hunters exam here. It's required to pass before you can apply for a license for a hunting rifle. I think most hunters here follow it when they hunt as well, and not just when they took the test. It becomes a habit, and it's just done automatically.

When I took the class for it years ago, the instructor illustrated just how easy it is to have a shotgun go off accidentally/negligently by bumping it too hard. It left a lasting impression.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

First Shirt wrote:I've preached this sermon until I'm blue in the face! The kids learned it, the Minions learned it, and, G-d willing, the Minions kids will learn it.

IF YOU FOLLOW THE FOUR RULES RELIGIOUSLY, YOU WILL NEVER SEND A ROUND DOWN RANGE UNINTENTIONALLY!
Unless you get a broken/defective gun, which does happen from time to time.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote:
First Shirt wrote:I've preached this sermon until I'm blue in the face! The kids learned it, the Minions learned it, and, G-d willing, the Minions kids will learn it.

Unless you get a broken/defective gun, which does happen from time to time.
Even in that case, you vastly decrease your chances of damaging anything of value if you follow the 4 rules, particularly #2
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".