Remington Model 11 pawn pickup

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JAG2955

Remington Model 11 pawn pickup

Post by JAG2955 »

I swung by a pawn shop on my way to run errands today, ignored their "No loaded guns" sign, as it wasn't 30.06 applicable, and checked out a decent selection of used old shotguns.

A "AS-IS" caught my eye, listed at $150 as a "Remington Sportsman" shotgun. I saw that it had a flaming bomb mark on the side with MILITARY FINISH in big letters. I got it for $115 cash OTD. It's got a broken forend (common), and about $40 to replace, and some large chips broken off the tang side of the buttstock, which will need to be repaired. Repaired, not replaced, since it has a US FJA crossed cannons stamp. Maybe a good chance for me to learn stock repair, I don't know if Candyman still does his magic.

Now for the interesting part: It has a 29-30" barrel with a bead sight. A little bit of looking has led me to believe that the only "Sportsman" models, as mine is marked on the bolt, had 20" riot barrels. I don't think that it was a bolt swap, because this is a 3 shot barrel/mag tube.

My barrel is nearly devoid of markings except for PROOF TESTED 12GA and FULL. Supposedly it should have Remington's patent information on it. The breech-top end of the barrel is a little smoother than the rest, maybe someone decided that they needed to wipe out the US stamp there, though I don't know why they'd leave the one on the receiver.

Anyone with more info?

And when you say "Hey, I have a C&R license, no paperwork necessary," why do gun shops look at you like this:

Pics coming, maybe...
Captain Wheelgun

Re: Remington Model 11 pawn pickup

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

If the barrel is original, it may be one of the shotguns that were used to teach aerial gunnery during WW2. This would explain the long barrel.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:If the barrel is original, it may be one of the shotguns that were used to teach aerial gunnery during WW2. This would explain the long barrel.
That's what I think this was, but I thought those were all 5-shot models.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

You did good. The family has one, made by Savage Arms, back before WWII, with the flaming bomb and was bought from the Air Force in 1965. No doubt ours was an aerial gunner shotgun. My dad had it in his collection when he died.

Now, it lives in my son's collection. He has a Remington 11 from one grandfather, and a Savage copy from the other grandfather.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
toad

Post by toad »

I remember my father talking about that. They get into open top trucks and drive on a course with clay pigeons by tossed at them from different directions.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Dang, PawPaw, I knew I liked you. First that nice old Colt, then humpbacks.
I've got two Savage 720s which were also a licensed copy of the Auto-5 Browning like the Rem 11 was.
If you look hard you can find them cheap. I bought one of them on my C&R from Gunbroker for $125 shipped to my door.

Jag: The broken fore-end can often be glued, it's common to these guns. Make sure that your friction brake rings are set right for the weight of shell you are planning to shoot in it.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

That beats the pants off the 48 A5 I picked up a while back for under 3 bills. Nice find.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Pics, better late than never.

Glamour shot (long barrel is loooooooong)
IMG_1160.JPG

Forearm damage
IMG_1161.JPG

Markings on the receiver, both flaming bomb and MILITARY FINISH and the most concerning damage to the tang of the stock
IMG_1162.JPG

and finally a stock cartouche.
IMG_1164.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.