Help Me Pick My .22 Rifle

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Yogimus

Re: Help Me Pick My .22 Rifle

Post by Yogimus »

Counterpoint: 597 has the shittiest magazines in the history of modern firearms
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Yogimus wrote:Counterpoint: 597 has the shittiest magazines in the history of modern firearms

Didn't they fix that issue?
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

"fixed"

they are on the 3rd design.
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

Have a little fun, go to Gun Broker and start looking for .22's in your price range. You just might find a vintage model that tickles your fancy, and rumor has it that "they don't make them like they used to." Some of the older models are real shooters, and you won't have the same thing as everybody else at the range.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Marlin XT-22
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Asking for help picking a .22 is akin to asking for a beer recommendation. There are so many good ones to choose from.

In bolties, you can't go wrong w. the aforementioned Savages. I have several of their rimfire guns and have never had an issue w. any of them. I don't have any CZ rimfires, but they have a stellar rep.

For $400, you could browse the local shops and get a two or three nice gently used guns. You can never have enough .22s :)
Rod

Post by Rod »

Yogimus wrote:Counterpoint: 597 has the shittiest magazines in the history of modern firearms
Counter counterpoint: Never had a problem with mine.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The 597 mag issue is fairly well known. One way to deal with it is to cut a S&W 22s mag spring in half, and use that instead. Brownells sells the springs.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

I like my Grandpa's .22 pump Wards Westernfield, Stevens clone of the day. My first pick on any given day.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.