Help Me Pick My .22 Rifle

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
skb12172

Help Me Pick My .22 Rifle

Post by skb12172 »

I sold my 10/22 recently and am currently without a .22 rifle. I never really cared for my Ruger, hence the reason I ditched it. What should I get? Honestly, I'm not opposed to another semi or even a different Ruger, but I'm also not convinced a semi-auto is needed, since I will only use it for target shooting and the occasional varmint. Whatever I get, I want to keep it at $400 or less. What say you all in the peanut gallery? Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Yogimus

Re: Help Me Pick My .22 Rifle

Post by Yogimus »

Tubular magazine bolt action with a peep sight is the perfect solution
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Can you suggest a brand and model?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

CZ 452 if you can find one or else a CZ455, whatever style you want.
After that Ruger American and savage MKII BV.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

What about the Mossy 802Plinkster with 10 + 1 capacity? Mossberg is a good brand and the price is right.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Do you have money to burn? Cooper

A somewhat cheaper option is to buy a 64MPR by Anschutz through Champion shooter Supply, you're still talking well over a grand.

If you're budget limited, buy CZ or a savage, and do some upgrades.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I love old tube feed .22s. You can often find them in the Cabelas's used gun rack for $100-150.

I have a Taurus model 63 that is the bee's knees. It is a copy of the Browning designed Winchester model 63. Taurus doesn't make them anymore, but they're still around. They come in stainless and blued versions. The model 62 is the same except pump action instead of semi-auto.
Taurus mod 63 right sm.jpg
You should get this one even if you get something else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

I've got a heavy barrel Savage MkII. Boltie with an accu-trigger. I put a Mueller APV on top and a Boyds thumbhole on it. It's a tough choice but it may actually be my favorite rifle.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

The only way I'd get a tube-fed model is if it's in the stock. I just think that the under barrel tubes look bad on a .22.

A Nylon 66 would be fantastic if you can find one for a good price.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Remington Model 597. Tack driver.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist