Hunting/target rifle mfr/model - your opinions?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JKosprey

Re: Hunting/target rifle mfr/model - your opinions?

Post by JKosprey »

Of course, the Savage can be made pretty rather easily.....here are my two
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

If you don't see anything you like in the Savage lineup, they are perfectly willing to build what you want, if it can be made from available parts.

I've got a scout rifle, left-handed, in 7mm-08 that was built to order. OTD price was only $200 over MSRP for the standard version.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Personally, I'd be a little leery of new Remingtons - their quality control these days is horrible.

Here's the thing to consider: Target guns generally make lousy hunting rifles(too big/heavy), and hunting rifles are generally not accurate enough for target shooting.

Pesonally? I'd look at BVSS, and replace the trigger, and do a bedding job.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

That BVSS is 10 lbs. of tack driver, but unless you're going to be hunting from a blind or a shooting house, it's gonna get a bit ponderous to carry. The heaviest rifle I own is a Ruger No. 1-B in 30-06. It's a great shooter (despite what they say about single-shots) but I don't want to carry it for a day's hike in the woods, since it weighs just over 9 lbs, with scope and sling.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Eh, 10 lbs ain't too bad - it's how well it's balanced that makes a bigger difference.

And 10 lbs is light - my "light" gun barely makes weight, a skosh under 17 lbs..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

HTRN wrote:Eh, 10 lbs ain't too bad - it's how well it's balanced that makes a bigger difference.

And 10 lbs is light - my "light" gun barely makes weight, a skosh under 17 lbs..
When I was a young studly warrior, I was required to hump the pig from time to time, and that gun started off weighing about 25 pounds with a belt of ammo, but after eight or nine hours, weighed more like 50 pounds. The longer you carry a pig, the heavier it gets.

Nowadays, as I reach my dotage and decrepitude, I prefer a much lighter rifle. My current squeeze weighs in about nine pounds, with sling, scope and magazine and that suits me just fine.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

HTRN wrote:Here's the thing to consider: Target guns generally make lousy hunting rifles(too big/heavy), and hunting rifles are generally not accurate enough for target shooting.
I know. My target shooting desire is acknowledging the fact that I'm not a target shooter yet, so I'm really looking for a hunting rifle that does a better job than necessary so I can reach out just a bit farther for fun.
Personally? I'd look at BVSS, and replace the trigger, and do a bedding job.
Hm. Starts at $1113 MSRP with no glass, weighs more, longer, replace the trigger, and bed it. Sounds like more than $700 and more like a target gun. Maybe later when more money has grown. ;)

The Savage site seems to be particularly uninformative with regard to what the finer differences are in their models. How does one compare from one to another more fully?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Best bet is to go to the website, and on the drop-down menu under "Firearms" select "Gun Finder". This will let you select from a number of options/desirable characteristics, and whittle it down to what you want.

Using your original selection criteria, I came up with 4 possibles (out of six listed) that came in under $800 MSRP.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

HTRN wrote: Pesonally? I'd look at BVSS, and replace the trigger, and do a bedding job.
I know HTRN doesn't like the accutrigger. But it's not meant to be a 6 ounce benchrest trigger. It is, however, an excellent all-around hunting and target shooting/plinking trigger.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

How much are you willing to spend on optics, on top of the price of the gun?
Eppur si muove--Galileo