CMP 1911 A1? Haven't seen this mentioned yet...

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Flintlock Tom

CMP 1911 A1? Haven't seen this mentioned yet...

Post by Flintlock Tom »

If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
First Shirt

Re: CMP 1911 A1? Haven't seen this mentioned yet...

Post by First Shirt »

Could happen. I think my chances of being transported bodily into heaven are better, but it could happen.

If the prices are pretty reasonable, might make a neat project gun. Otherwise, you're buying it for the collector's value.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

If the Dems don't piss all over themselves and it actually happens the 1911's will be classified into four levels.

1.Rack Grade. Loose associations of parts, heavily worn, pitted, ridiculously high-priced.

2. Field Grade. Slightly better, might go bang, some markings still visible, even more ridiculously priced.

3.High Grade. The equivalent of a home build on a cast Essex frame, would make a decent truck gun. Astoundingly high priced, would make current Colt ownership blush.

4.Collector Grade. What you should be getting at the "Field" grade. Pricing to be determined individually; LSA butt-lube extra.

5. Auction Only. The rare, really nice specimens you used to occasionally luck into at random years ago when the DCM ran the program. Unless you are on the Director's Board of one of the really big collector's organizations you'll never even see one.

They will sell out in weeks, and instantaneously re-appear on GunBroker and at gun shows at twice the going price of the CMP. Reparked, new grips, and WWI, WWII, Korea or VietNam bringback papers included.

And all those old, scruffy worn-out takeoff 1911 parts in that box under your bench that you never threw out? They'll be GOLD to "restorers".
:lol:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I'm honestly not sure DoD has any original M1911A1s left in inventory. (MARSOC's newer ones are a different matter.)

These would probably be old M-9s that are being replaced by M-9A1s.

But no way would this happen unless we get a Republican president and the GOP holds both houses of Congress.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

If CMP does get them, I will make the drive to the south store to pick up one or two.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Heck, "if" then I might make the drive from San Diego and meet you there. Just on principle to celebrate liberty (and the liberation of these old pieces).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Actually, it's happened before. I can remember as an innocent yoot, picking up the American Rifleman and seeing ads for CMP 1911s, mailed to your house for $89.00. Just clip the ad at the bottom of the page, fill it out and send a check to the CMP. In three to four weeks, the mailman would stick a box in your mailbox.

Prior to GCA '68, that's the way we got CMP guns. At the tender age of 12 years old, I walked up to a glass counter, plunked down my hard-earned yard-cutting money, and purchased a brand-new Winchester pump shotgun. All by myself. The sales guy didn't bat an eye. We opened the box, made sure it was all there, then I tucked the box under my arm and walked out of the store. This was in the summer of '65 and the world was a lot more free, then.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I used to have a matching Colt with the DCM receipt for $17 I bought off a widow. Sigh
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

:jacked: I can't recall anyone saying,"Well, it's a free country" since before Nixon resigned. :jacked:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy