The Coolest Rifle I've Seen In A While-Pfeifer SR2

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Darrell

The Coolest Rifle I've Seen In A While-Pfeifer SR2

Post by Darrell »

It's a sort of break action bullpup, striker fired; OAL length is ~27 1/2", with a barrel length of 26". It's a Pfeifer SR2. Found via reddit/guns:

http://imgur.com/a/AGHE0

I guess you can't call it a bolt action, since it doesn't have a bolt. The "backwards trigger" actually cocks the striker; the trigger is a button for the striker release. The owner says it has a clean 0.5 kg (1.1 lb) break; the firing pin is rocker actuated, and does not suffer the usual bullpup trigger issues. The gun is a .300 winmag, the owner says he put five rounds of factory ammo into a 2 cm group at 100 m.

Here's the reddit comment thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/3 ... ing_rifle/

And here's Pfeifer Waffen's website, English version:

http://www.pfeifer-waffen.at/en/home.html

Looks like the SR2's base price is 2,700 Euros.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Re: The Coolest Rifle I've Seen In A While-Pfeifer SR2

Post by Netpackrat »

That's certainly... different.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

They have a sweet k98 in 7.5 Swiss. Someone remind me how painful/expensive it would be to import that.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

slowpoke wrote:They have a sweet k98 in 7.5 Swiss. Someone remind me how painful/expensive it would be to import that.
If you're looking at the used one they're selling for EUR 560, it's a perfectly normal K98 sporter - you could probably buy a similar one stateside and have Lothar Walther short-chamber a 7.5x55 barrel for it for less than you'd spend on importing Pfeiffer's one.

On the other hand, if you are really serious about importing that particular one (i.e. money-up-front serious), contact me privately and we'll discuss it... :mrgreen:
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Meh
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

I'm having trouble visualizing a 26" barrel and only a 27.5" OAL.
Manually load a single round through the back of the butt-stock?
And, a 2 round magazine?
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I saw a puppy once that was a cross between a wire-haired dachsund and a French bulldog.

It wasn't that ugly.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

This looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Bullpups have their place, but the only one I like is the Steyr AUG. It is the only one with a slightly less sucky trigger than every other bullpup, and they all have sucky triggers, just some slightly less sucky than others. The Tavor trigger really sucks; it reminds me of the VP70 trigger.

Kel-Tec managed to design a reasonably good trigger for their .308 bullpup rifle, but it is a very complicated rube-goldberg-esque mechanism to get it to work over that travel distance. I suspect this trigger is of a similar design.

Problems I see with this rifle:
1. the trigger has to be complicated to work in a bullpup design - complicated and reliable are difficult to mix.
2. I'm OK with a 5.56 NATO round under my cheek with the extensive failure testing done by Steyr for the Austrian military, and almost 40 year history of the rifle. I'm not OK with a .300 Win Mag round under my cheek when I pull the trigger, especially with a new, untested design. I'm guessing Mr. Pfeifer didn't intentionally try to blow up his gun with a double charged .300 WM round, like Steyr did (many times).
3. This would be yet another rifle I have to check local gun regs before I put in the truck. I know it won't meet minimum length rules in the PRK.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Greg

Post by Greg »

Flintlock Tom wrote:I'm having trouble visualizing a 26" barrel and only a 27.5" OAL.
And, a 2 round magazine?
The back of the buttstock is the 'breech block' and swings open, so you can manually load a round. Yep, it's a single shot. The striker is under the barrel and travels *rearward* when released, and it hits a rocker that has a nub on it to hit the primer. They've really gone to some trouble to minimize overall length.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Greg wrote:
Flintlock Tom wrote:I'm having trouble visualizing a 26" barrel and only a 27.5" OAL.
And, a 2 round magazine?
The back of the buttstock is the 'breech block' and swings open, so you can manually load a round. Yep, it's a single shot. The striker is under the barrel and travels *rearward* when released, and it hits a rocker that has a nub on it to hit the primer. They've really gone to some trouble to minimize overall length.
This. If you bother to follow links in the original post, the owner says the rifle has a very crisp (unbullpup-like) 1.1 lb pull. I agree that it's not the handsomest gun in the world--that thumbhole stock looks like something from an old Norinco SKS. Consider, though, that all the business end of the action is in that last 1 1/2" of the stock. I think it's rather ingenious. Strictly speaking, is it a bullpup at all?
Eppur si muove--Galileo