silencer threading question

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

silencer threading question

Post by Precision »

So I have this AR upper

I want to add this silencer to it.

The barrel currently has no method of attaching a direct thread on or a muzzle brake for the quick connect, so I will have to have threads put on it and get a thread protector at a minimum.

What should I expect to pay for that process?

How would I go about making sure the machinist / gunsmith is competent to do the work?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
JAG2955

Re: silencer threading question

Post by JAG2955 »

The short answer is send your barrel here.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I would start by asking for a recommendation from the Class 3 dealer who you are getting your suppressor through, and/or make contact with a machine gun club local to you, and see who they recommend. I kind of lucked into meeting the guy who did my barrels... I went to A&P school with his neighbor, who recommended him for FFL transfers, and I got to know him from there.

I can't help you much in terms of what to expect for cost. I'm pretty sure I got charged the buddy rate for mine.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

This guy has a really good reputation on CalGuns.net:
http://www.ar15barrels.com/services.shtml
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Flintlock Tom wrote:This guy has a really good reputation on CalGuns.net:
http://www.ar15barrels.com/services.shtml
The prices on that page are comparable to what my friend charges, which makes me feel a little better. For some reason I assumed that the going rate would be more than that.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Yeah, 30 bucks to cut threads and re-crown a barrel sounds pretty good to me.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, I was looking more at the prices for "precision" barrel threading.

Precision

Post by Precision »

Thanks guys,

That is a lot less then I expected.

At the new job, I can get suppressors (for personal ownership) for a HUGE discount. I will be purchasing at least one and maybe as many as 3 in the next year.

Very excited.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Precision wrote: At the new job, I can get suppressors (for personal ownership) for a HUGE discount.
Now I want to work there.
Precision

Post by Precision »

JAG2955 wrote:
Precision wrote: At the new job, I can get suppressors (for personal ownership) for a HUGE discount.
Now I want to work there.
Might be a bit of a commute for you.

Not to mention my hourly rate is the lowest I have worked for in well over a decade. But, it is an easy part time job that lets me attend all Dawn's Dr appointments, lets us work on our FBA business, provides us some current income... AND I get roughly half off MSRP (25% off street price) on suppressors, roughly equal to LEO discount on most new guns (no savings on used guns), I get SPIFFS to put towards those guns and I get to / have to (open) carry at work.

All and all, not a bad gig.