Which Can?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JustinR

Re: Which Can?

Post by JustinR »

Well that sucks, but at least you were able to get a hold of one already in the transfer process. When I was trying to find a shop to buy from, I called around to all the suppressor dealers in the area (DFW thankfully has quite a few) to find one that had decent prices AND had both I wanted to buy in shop so I wouldn't have to wait for the distributor to dealer transfer time. I warned my friend that I started the trust with about this, but he still bought his from a shop that didn't have them in hand. To add insult to injury, the distributor transferred the WRONG pistol can, so he ended up cancelling his order with them and buying it from the same guy that I did, whom had the correct one in stock. PITA to be sure.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

One of the appeals of DIY cans now, is that turn around on Form 1s is very fast, often less than 6 months,
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:One of the appeals of DIY cans now, is that turn around on Form 1s is very fast, often less than 6 months,
Any thoughts on where to find proven DIY designs?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:One of the appeals of DIY cans now, is that turn around on Form 1s is very fast, often less than 6 months,
Yeah, I might still go ahead and Form 1 a 9mm can just for that reason alone. I need to take some measurements, and figure out what thread my Suomi and the 9mm AK I haven't built yet will be. Hopefully they can be the same, without one losing too much thickness at the muzzle.

Edit to add: People have been reporting turn around times of between a month or two, of Form 1s e-filed with a trust.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I've done two eForm 1s for SBRs, both took about a 35 days. I'm at day 25 for a third.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:
Any thoughts on where to find proven DIY designs?
Silencertalk has an entire forum devoted to DIY.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:Silencertalk has an entire forum devoted to DIY.
Super. Thanks!
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I finally broke down and sent in two paper form 1's for supressors. I'll let yall know how it goes but I don't expect to hear back before August, guess that my buy a gun day purchase for the year.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

My friend and trust cohort got his rifle can and we shot it for the first time the other day (Silencerco Specwar.) We shot some of the 220 grain loads he had worked up for his 300 Blackout AR, the primary intended host. It was both of our first exposure to shooting suppressed. The rounds around 800-850 FPS were hollywood quiet and gave us both big shit eating grins. As we worked our way to the slightly higher powder charges, the ones that were just subsonic had a much more defined air rifle type crack, but were still hearing safe. Yea, I have a feeling we'll be buying more suppressors in the future now.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

E-filed for one each, SBS (Saiga 12) and SBR (AMD-65 based AK) tonight. Depending on how badly I fuck up the AK's threads getting the permanently attached brake off, I may eventually put a new barrel from AK Builder on there in order to get suppressor quality threads. They make a 14" AMD-65 barrel meant for title I builds (permanently attaching the original brake, rather than an extended one like I used), that would be just perfect for having my gunsmith friend shorten to match the original, and then thread. I would do it that way, because AK Builder's barrels don't have the 90 degree shoulder for proper suppressor installation. Nor does an original AK barrel, for that matter.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop