Which Can?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: Which Can?

Post by Combat Controller »

That endcap you can swap is a really clever idea. I think it swayed me into buying one of theirs.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Looks like a nice setup. Of course, they only have their brake in 9/16-24, so if I want to retain a flash hider on the .308 Saiga, I have to spend $300+ on the YHM compatible endcap.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

I've got a Yankee Hill Phantom suppressors in .308 and one in .223, both are QD. I like them. Although if I were to do it all over again I would choose cans that you can disassemble and/or replace the end cap on, like the Saker. First round through my .308 and I hit the damn end cap :(

I almost bought a saker 7.62 last year, but decided to get a .45 suppressor instead. (which took over a year to get approved!) Since most of my host rifles already have YH QD flash hiders on them , it would've been a bit cost prohibitive to go with the Saker.

There is an interesting thread on ar15.com on building your own for $100ish that performs well. I plan on sending in the paperwork after taxes and building two.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/169368 ... in_OP.html
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I may do something like that on a form 1 for a 9mm can at some point... The Suomi carbine is one of the rifles I am going to SBR, and I still have all the parts for a 9mm AK build that is on the back burner for now.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

SilencerCo makes solid gear. I may be biased, since they're from my city, but that's where I'll go when I get a can.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

So, looking a little closer at the homebuilt can with a Form 1, on the one hand, I can see the attractiveness. Spend $200 now plus a little more for a tube/engraving (they even have titanium tubes for sale), e-file the form 1 for the quicker turn-around, then build it at my leisure. But it also seems to be fraught with peril... Things like, if the end cap is what holds the suppressor together, then it is considered a suppressor part, and having an extra end cap for which you don't have a registered suppressor tube is streng verboten. So, no having multiple caps for different thread/caliber sizes, same for extra baffles. I think the same probably goes for if you decide you want to try a different baffle design, and making more baffles. And I don't really want to dig into who can repair it if it gets damaged.

I'm not necessarily ruling the idea out entirely, but I'm going to focus on getting the (non homebuilt) .30 cal can and the two SBRs for now.

slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Netpackrat wrote:So, looking a little closer at the homebuilt can with a Form 1, on the one hand, I can see the attractiveness. Spend $200 now plus a little more for a tube/engraving (they even have titanium tubes for sale), e-file the form 1 for the quicker turn-around, then build it at my leisure. But it also seems to be fraught with peril... Things like, if the end cap is what holds the suppressor together, then it is considered a suppressor part, and having an extra end cap for which you don't have a registered suppressor tube is streng verboten. So, no having multiple caps for different thread/caliber sizes, same for extra baffles. I think the same probably goes for if you decide you want to try a different baffle design, and making more baffles. And I don't really want to dig into who can repair it if it gets damaged.

I'm not necessarily ruling the idea out entirely, but I'm going to focus on getting the (non homebuilt) .30 cal can and the two SBRs for now.
If you had looked at them when i suggested....
You know they're selling phantom threaded endcaps?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

slowpoke wrote: If you had looked at them when i suggested....
You know they're selling phantom threaded endcaps?
The description for that item said to get them while you could, because there may only be one run, and it also said out of stock. As I said, I'm not ruling it out for a 9mm can, but I want to be sure I know all of the legal ins and outs of making my own can first. It appears to be more complicated, and easier to run afoul of the ATF than doing an SBR or SBS.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Looks like given the length of time just to get a can transferred to the dealer, I am probably too late to get the form 4 in before the trust changes are implemented, assuming ATF goes through with it and doesn't postpone it again. I decided on the AAC SDN-6. At 20 oz it isn't excessively heavy, and it seems to have flash hider mounts available in all the thread sizes I could potentially want to use.

The Saker is an attractive option, but I DO NOT want to use a brake on my .308 for the reason I already mentioned, plus I don't want to make a 16" .308 any louder than it already is, at times when I am not using the can. And besides the Saker being more expensive to begin with, I didn't want to buy a $300 adapter just to use my existing YHM flash hider on the S-308.

The dealer wouldn't take my money yet, because their distributor didn't have one in stock right now, but they are going to call me when one is available.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Hadn't heard back from the dealer, so I shook the suppressor tree again today and got one to fall out this time.

I'd ordered a quick mount flash hider from AAC for the CZ527 about a week ago, and when I checked the order status a couple days ago, it still said the order was being processed. Hmm... Browsing their website, I clicked on the tab for their blog... They've got an entry up that can best be described as an attempt at rumor control, the most concerning item of which is the note that they were planning to shut down production at the end of February, and move their operation to another facility, and expect to be complete in May. Thus explaining why I had not heard back from the dealer, because there were apparently no more to be had.

I went back there today, and they again confirmed none in stock at the distributor. At that point, I'm thinking that unless I wanted to wait until some time in the middle of next year for a can, I'm probably going to have to buy the Saker for $250 more, plus the additional cost of the conversion unit to fit my YHM flash hider on the .308. The boss and his minion disappeared into the back room for a few minutes, leaving me pondering AAC's truly idiotic timing of their move, at a time when everybody and their brother is wanting to get NFA stuff.

The boss came back out and explained that while there were indeed no new ones to be found and ordered, they actually had 4 of them already ordered, but that they had believed them all to be spoken for. His minion was still checking on that, to see if 1 might be available for me. Turns out that 2 of the 4 guys evidently weren't ready to put money down on "their" suppressor at that moment... I was. The best news is that this is a can that a) exists, and b) they ordered previously, so the dealer transfer paperwork is already in process. So in maybe a couple of months, they'll have it, and I can fill out the form 4 and start the process of getting it transferred to me. I may actually get to use it before next winter ends my shooting season.

It would have been nice if I had heard back from the dealer without having to go back in there for a follow-up visit, but on the other hand, I was especially pleased that they expended the effort to get me what I actually wanted, rather than taking the opportunity to upsell me into the more expensive can, which I probably would have gone for but I would have been annoyed. And it isn't like going back was a hardship... They are just down the road from my house, and always have neat stuff to drool upon.