Which Can?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Which Can?

Post by Netpackrat »

I've pretty much made up my mind that I want to buy a general purpose .30 cal suppressor to be used on several rifles, and figured I would ask for some input here. I browsed a suppressor forum briefly, which was helpful, but I know there are some suppressor knowledgeable folks here too, who might give a different perspective. Some of the guys on the specialized forum appeared to be kind of rabid in their likes and dislikes.

It needs to mount via a quick attach system, rather than just be threaded, because the rifles I will want to use it with all have different threads. I ordered an NEF single shot in Blackout that is supposed to have 5/8-24 threads, my Saiga .308 is threaded 9/16-24, and it sounds as if the CZ-527M is going to end up with 1/2-28. Might be nice to put it on one of the other AKs if the threads (14x1mmLH) check out as being accurate enough for suppressor use, too. The Saiga .308 currently already has a YHM Phantom quick attach flash suppressor, simply because that was the flash suppressor I could find in 9/16-24 at the time I needed one (during the spring '13 panic).

Even though the one rifle is already set up with a YHM mount, that's not a big factor as far as I'm concerned. Guys on the suppressor forum bitch about their YHMs being too heavy, but checking specs across different manufacturers, all of the less expensive options tend to be in the same ballpark for weight. My current thought right now is that I will probably end up with something from AAC, but I thought I would throw it out there and see if I could get any other input, or at least what questions I should be asking myself. This will mostly be used at the range for fun shooting, but to the best of my knowledge, AK is one of the states where you can hunt with a suppressor, so getting something that is light enough to practically hunt with is a factor.

Also, there is no need for it to be magnum rated.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
slowpoke

Re: Which Can?

Post by slowpoke »

Form1?

check sd tactical out for a solvent trap to get ideas for your form 1?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I would point you in the direction of the same can that I have waiting in ATF Stamp jail, a Silenerco Saker 7.62.

Actual price I paid was $900. Their MAAD attachment system allows for a variety of muzzle attachments to be used, including the YHM Y-mount, so it *should* be compatible with your Phantom, but an email to Silencerco would be prudent. If it is, that's one less muzzle device you have to buy, although the different mount adapters are a bit pricy, it gives you options.

It comes with their Trifecta muzzle brake, which is one of the better recoil reducers out there. The experienced folks on Silencertalk have said that muzzle brakes are the best mounting option for suppressors because they act as additional baffles and help reduce wear on the can, TIFWIW.

What sold me was the fact that the end cap can be changed out, with a replacement, or with a 5.56 endcap, which lowers the signature about 4 dB over the 30 cal endcap and gives numbers on par with the best 5.56 cans, albeit with the length and extra weight. The ability to buy a Trifecta 5.56 brake and mount it to my Sig 556 or 5.56 AR upper and get the same performance as a 5.56 can was a big plus for me.

Hope this helps.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

slowpoke wrote:Form1?

check sd tactical out for a solvent trap to get ideas for your form 1?
Once I get my trust done, I am going to Form 1 a couple of SBRs, but if I am going to pay a $200 tax on a suppressor, I want something better than a flashlight tube with some baffles.
JustinR wrote:I would point you in the direction of the same can that I have waiting in ATF Stamp jail, a Silenerco Saker 7.62.

Actual price I paid was $900. Their MAAD attachment system allows for a variety of muzzle attachments to be used, including the YHM Y-mount, so it *should* be compatible with your Phantom, but an email to Silencerco would be prudent. If it is, that's one less muzzle device you have to buy, although the different mount adapters are a bit pricy, it gives you options.

It comes with their Trifecta muzzle brake, which is one of the better recoil reducers out there. The experienced folks on Silencertalk have said that muzzle brakes are the best mounting option for suppressors because they act as additional baffles and help reduce wear on the can, TIFWIW.

What sold me was the fact that the end cap can be changed out, with a replacement, or with a 5.56 endcap, which lowers the signature about 4 dB over the 30 cal endcap and gives numbers on par with the best 5.56 cans, albeit with the length and extra weight. The ability to buy a Trifecta 5.56 brake and mount it to my Sig 556 or 5.56 AR upper and get the same performance as a 5.56 can was a big plus for me.

Hope this helps.
That's a big help, thanks. I will look at the Silencerco stuff, but I definitely want flash hiders for when the can is not installed, at least for the Evil Black Rifles. I think concealing my position is potentially more valuable than reducing recoil.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

But that's what extra cans are for! Ha, ha.

The Trifecta three prong flash hider is also compatible with the MAAD mount, with prongs of different length to eliminate the "tuning fork ping" when firing.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Fram makes good ones
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

PawPaw wrote:Fram makes good ones
I'm glad they are good at something, because they sure make a shitty oil filter.

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Man, that is a hard one and really comes down to what mood I'm in.

I think Tago Mago is probably considered their best overall. Ege Bamyasi generated the most hits (in Europe). Flow Motion is probably the best example of their later work. I would start with one of them.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »