thoughts on BCM Keymod

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Greg

thoughts on BCM Keymod

Post by Greg »

While we're conversing today, anyone have any thoughts on the new BCM Keymod handguards and lightweight uppers?

They really do seem to be substantially lighter than typical quad-rail free float handguards and uppsers that use them.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JAG2955

Re: thoughts on BCM Keymod

Post by JAG2955 »

They're hella light and slim. I have a 13" KMR on an AR. The key to the weight savings is to find direct-attach keymod accessories, not picatinny rails onto the keymod, and your device attached to the rail.

The attachment method of the rail to the barrel nut is very nice as well. It uses a crenelated screw and a locking screw to prevent it from backing out. The barrel nut is one of the easiest to install, and they come with their proprietary wrench, which coincidentally makes the greatest buffer tube castle nut wrench out there.

I also have their vertical grip attached to it. Very nice, especially for the price.
Greg

Post by Greg »

CByrneIV wrote:Meh...

You put the same quadrails on it as any other system, they'll weigh the same.
Sure. But you don't need to, and who would want to? You'd only put 1913 rails where you really need them, which would seem to save a lot of weight.
Get any tubular handguard system where the rails are attached with allen screws and it's the same.
This would seem to be an open industry standard for doing essentially that, efficiently and effectively.

Does it suck? Is there something inherently wrong and/or flawed with the design, on a technical basis? That's what I'm really curious about at this point. Otherwise I'm just interested to see what looks like a decent technical standard (that actually provides real, if incremental benefits) become more of an industry standard that you can buy and use without paying boutique buttrape prices.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Necro to note more bad news for the grocery store shelf rail:

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/03/31/us ... -programs/
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I have a 15" MWI M-Lok fore end. Installation was super easy, there was no trying to line up holes in a delta ring, and the M-loks are easy enough to install or take off.

I like it a lot. I really need to finish that build.