School me on leverguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

Re: School me on leverguns

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:If you reload, try to find some cast bullets that look like Lee's 358-158-RF. Work a charm in carbines, since they feed reliably, and cut a nice hole in paper or flesh-and-blood targets. And work well in .357 revolvers, too.
6 cavity or 2 cavity?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I like the six-cavity versions, since they seem to heat up faster. (And I'm lazy.) But it's the same bullet in either version.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm lazy, too. I just wasn't sure whether the clamping on the 6 cavity was adequate given the length.

I'll get one.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Consistent pressure on the mold handles, and make sure that it aligns properly (not as much of an issue with single- or double-cavity molds) and you should be fine. What gives people fits with the six-cavity molds is that they have the handles in a death grip one time, then just barely keep the blocks together the next time, so bullet quality suffers, and diameters are all over the map.

Take an old towel, and cut an X in the center, maybe two inches or so across. Fasten it on top of a five gallon bucket of cold water, but let the center dip down a bit. Then drop your bullets on the towel, and they'll roll down through the X into the water. Tends to make them a good bit harder than air-cooling will do, and the towel will keep you from splashing water into your mold or lead pot, which is a really bad idea.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:Take an old towel, and cut an X in the center, maybe two inches or so across. Fasten it on top of a five gallon bucket of cold water, but let the center dip down a bit. Then drop your bullets on the towel, and they'll roll down through the X into the water. Tends to make them a good bit harder than air-cooling will do, and the towel will keep you from splashing water into your mold or lead pot, which is a really bad idea.
Sneaky! Great tip. Thanks.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Don't thank me! It's been around so long that I can't remember where I learned it!

ETA: And I've got Minions who are learning to cast, and I can't afford to have one of them get burned! The repercussions would be severe, at best!
Lindy Cooper Wisdom