School me on leverguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
NVGdude

Re: School me on leverguns

Post by NVGdude »

Weetabix wrote:NVGdude said a .357 is about the same as a 30-30.
The 30-30 is about 2200 FPS with a 170 Remington Core-lokt bullet.
The 357 will be about 1750 with a similar weight bullet.

So "about" means 80% velocity. Energy is of course quite a bit lower due to the whole 1/2 m v-squared thing.

Either is plenty on deer at short range.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Weetabix wrote: In one of Termite's threads of a while back, he told us of his daughter's success with deer, and NVGdude said a .357 is about the same as a 30-30. With a .357 levergun, I could hunt deer short range and brushy?
That Marlin .357 carbine has taken 2 deer and a large tom bobcat.

As for scopes, use something low powered at the ranges a .357 carbine is practical out to. I have a Weaver K2.5 on mine.
Ammo is generally 158gr soft point, either Federal Eagle or Remington. Don't use .357 JHPs on deer from a carbine, the added velocity can cause bullet failure.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

If buying a Marlin, try to get an actual Marlin, and not one of the Remlins.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:If buying a Marlin, try to get an actual Marlin, and not one of the Remlins.
How does one distinguish between the two? Date of manufacture?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Probably by S/N.

Another thing to bear in mind, if you wind up getting a Winchester clone, stick with the M-92 version, it's a much stronger action than the '73. The bolt lock-up is tighter, so the brass doesn't stretch as much on firing.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

So for a winchester 92 action in 357, Rossi is the one to get, or iare there any other manufacturers to look for?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

That's about the only one out there. They are sold under different names (Puma, Legacy, Chiappa(?)) but all come from the Rossi factory in Brazil.

When Winchester dropped the 1892 model from their line, the machines and tooling were sold to a Brazilian company, who has been making them ever since.

There is some argument that the Marlin action is stronger, but I've seen no evidence to prove that. What Marlin does do is offer the option of mounting a scope, since the Rossis are all top-eject.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

How necessary is a scope for say, one in .357 Mag to be used as a companion piece to a S&W Model 19 for plinking/fun and occasional truck gun for self defense use in areas with "assault weapon" legal issues?

i.e. not a hunting piece (except in SHTF type situations).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I was thinking a tang sight might be fun.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Precision

Post by Precision »

Weetabix wrote:I was thinking a tang sight might be fun.
what is the advantage to a tang sight over a peep sight?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/