carry Pistol weight question

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
skb12172

Re: carry Pistol weight question

Post by skb12172 »

I didn't really have the option of picking a wardrobe around my carry choice, so I sometimes have to compromise. In very hot weather, my NAA 5 shot in .22LR is always with me. Beats a pointy stick. In cooler weather or more formal dress, my PA-63. I am in the process of replacing that with a Springfield XDS. Occasionally, a Taurus snubbie in .38 special will be my carry choice.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

My duty pistol, a Glock 22 weighs in fully loaded (on the old family scale) at 2 lbs, 4 ox. My SW Mod 38 that I carry in my pocket weighs in at a svelte 1 lb, 7 oz fully charged. My Colt 1911 with mag tips the scale to 3 lbs, 2 oz, while my Ruger SBH is only a few ounces heaver at 3 lbs, 4 oz. Go figure. That big Ruger feels so much heavier than the Colt, but the scale tells the tale.

Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I think that the weight of the pistol is not as much a factor as the way it is carried. A well-made, well-fitted holster, with a good stiff belt is more critical to the comfort of carrying than the actual weight of the firearm being carried.

I have been known to carry a 4.5 inch Ruger Vaquero in a strong side pancake holster. The holster is attached to a 1.75 inch double-layer leather belt, with a nylon stiffener sewn between the layers. This arrangement spreads the weight of the whole rig over my not-inconsiderable circumference, and makes the gun feel lighter than it actually is.

The same arrangement (either IWB, or pancake) for an aluminum-framed, commander-length 1911 makes you forget that you have it on.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
martini

Post by martini »

With a good holster and more importantly a good belt, weight isn't much of a factor. I always have an lcp in my pocket and a streamlight pl1 iirc. If I decide to carry more it's usually a glock 17 with an extra mag.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

First Shirt wrote:I think that the weight of the pistol is not as much a factor as the way it is carried. .
I more or less agree, with the caveat that it matters a lot for pocket pistols by the nature of the way they are carried.
BDK

Post by BDK »

That can be improved though. My Orvis khakis have a small pocket inside the front right pocket, attached to the back panel. Its far more comfortable to carry a pocket gun which is cradled in that pocket, than one which sits loose.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Carry a 357 or 44 mag 4 in Taurus tracker in a pancake Simply rugged holster , weighs in around 32 and 40 oz respectively loaded and weight was not a major consideration, function and reliability are of primary importance. And I don't have any add ons on my carry pieces.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I ask out of Idle curiosity in comparison to what I carry as well as wanting to know if you would be willing to add a few ounces to your carry weapon if it reduced muzzle rise by 35-50%.

I have an idea and want to see if people who carry all the time are super weight sensitive or might entertain my idea.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

Well, if I decide to fiddle with it, instead of dispose of it, I will get a tungsten guide rod for my Kimber Pro Covert II - but I'm probably just going to get a steel commander.

Weight really doesn't matter as much as holster and belt, IMO - although I do carry my G36 more, in the summer.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Precision wrote:I ask out of Idle curiosity in comparison to what I carry as well as wanting to know if you would be willing to add a few ounces to your carry weapon if it reduced muzzle rise by 35-50%.

I have an idea and want to see if people who carry all the time are super weight sensitive or might entertain my idea.
No my hand guns just right as is , a reduction is mv would not be acceptable.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.