I'm Getting A Springfield XDS .45ACP

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
skb12172

I'm Getting A Springfield XDS .45ACP

Post by skb12172 »

in the next month to replace my PA-63 for concealed carry. I know a few of you carry one and I would like to invite you to share your experiences, good and bad, with them. In case you are wondering, I've decided to go with solid black over the two-tone.

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Kommander

Re: I'm Getting A Springfield XDS .45ACP

Post by Kommander »

Glock or M&P. I have seen and heard of too many issues with the XDs to consider one.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

What issues?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
tcourtplayer

Post by tcourtplayer »

I've decided on the XDs as we'll (just more comfortable to me) but I keep going back and forth between the 45 I love, am comfortable with and have lots of ammo already and the 9 that offers me a few extra rounds. One of these days I'll force myself to make the final choice and go ahead and purchase it.
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

skb12172 wrote:What issues?
I have heard about the roll pins going after high but not unreasonably high round counts. I have seen a mag release fail. Also note that police use is sccant and US military use is nonexistent. I don't think that they are crap or anything, but I would rather have a Glock or S&W.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Fair enough. I thought you were going to mention recoil. They apparently have quite a bite. But, of course, so does my PA-63 with it's blowback action. I figured that if I were going to deal with recoil, I might as well be throwing .45acp at the bad guys instead of 9x18mm. Also, I only lose one round of capacity by going with the Springfield and it is even more concealable than the PA-63.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

All guns break.

5.25 XDms were the flavor of the week in production for a bit, now it's CZs

I haven't heard of any issues, but I'm not sure - and frankly, in competition, all guns break - including GLOCKs.

But, I agree they don't "feel" as solid.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:Fair enough. I thought you were going to mention recoil. They apparently have quite a bite. But, of course, so does my PA-63 with it's blowback action. I figured that if I were going to deal with recoil, I might as well be throwing .45acp at the bad guys instead of 9x18mm. Also, I only lose one round of capacity by going with the Springfield and it is even more concealable than the PA-63.
My daughter wants an XD 45 because she prefers the recoil to her CZ-82. Not sure how the XDS and the XD compare.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Have a couple of shooting buddies who regularly carry the XDS in .45 ACP. One of them is quite OCD, and wouldn't carry anything that he hadn't run several hundred rounds through, and he has no complaints. I've tried them, but I've been shooting a 1911 forever, and can't get really comfortable with something else. But I've run a couple hundred rounds through two different ones, and have never had an issue.

Please bear in mind that this is free advice, and worth about what you paid for it.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
RangerWT

Post by RangerWT »

Kommander wrote:
skb12172 wrote:What issues?
I have heard about the roll pins going after high but not unreasonably high round counts.
That's actually bad info. It's the regular XD and XDm that had this issue. They use a roll pin to hold retain the firing pin. After LARGE amounts of dry firing, the roll pin can break. (I have never seen this happen, nor do I know anyone that has seen it happen. It may be an internet thing. If I believed the internet, I wouldn't buy a Glock either, because they KaBoom). The XDs does not use this roll pin, so, no problem. The XDs also uses a slightly different mag release than the XD as well. The town that I live in issues XD .40s to its police officers. I have carried the XDs in .45 on and off for nearly 2 years and haven't had a bit of problems.
“Have you paid your dues, Jack?” — “Yes sir, the check is in the mail.” - Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)