375 H&H project (anyone?)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Aglifter

Re: 375 H&H project (anyone?)

Post by Aglifter »

Hmm...

With that level of WESCOG, be very sure about the virginity of the metal.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

metal hasn't been touched. only problem with the metal is it wasn't touched by any moisture barrier oil either. :roll:
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

He came back around offering to sweeten the deal with a 5 gal bucket with various boxes of brass and loaded ammo. I didn't inventory -- didn't want to look too interested but clearly some value. Several boxes 30-06 and 270 Federal factory loads. Some old cowboy caliber loads and brass, a baggie of 44 mag 1x brass. Some old Remington "Kleenbore" boxes with brass or NOS loads.

Sooo... I asked to take it home so I could clean the filthy bore and see how the barrel looks. Oooo shiny! So, the exterior blue problems are just moisture/storage contact issues. Any pitting is light/minor. It's eminently capable of being buffed out to highend blue w/out messing up roll marks or putting in low spots. It is certainly Cerakote-able as well.

Like I need another project in the queue.... (maybe will just try to find this one a loving home as-is).

Pix to follow.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

For that kind of money, I'd rip it apart and build a .458 Lott..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Why? A 375 is a perfectly lovely caliber? Once you jump to 458, you really have to start worrying about stock fit, etc...

Admittedly, the 45-70 duplicate loads would be nice for pigs.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aglifter wrote:Why? A 375 is a perfectly lovely caliber?
Because I don't need two of them. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote:For that kind of money, I'd rip it apart and build a .458 Lott..
I'd turn it into a 400 H&H. Just because.....8-)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Termite wrote:
HTRN wrote:For that kind of money, I'd rip it apart and build a .458 Lott..
I'd turn it into a 400 H&H. Just because.....8-)
What does that do, that a .416 Remington Magnum do, beside offer a worse bullet selection for full power loads?

Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote:
Termite wrote:I'd turn it into a 400 H&H. Just because.....8-)
What does that do, that a .416 Remington Magnum do, beside offer a worse bullet selection for full power loads?
Absolutely nothing.

However, the 405 Winchester bullet is the same diameter, as is the 41 Rem Mag pistol bullet, and both would be great for lighter loads. The 405 Win bullet would be a great feral hog or deer load, and the 41 Mag bullets would be great plinking and varmint medicine.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
AggieWalt

Post by AggieWalt »

Termite wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Termite wrote:I'd turn it into a 400 H&H. Just because.....8-)
Absolutely nothing.

However, the 405 Winchester bullet is the same diameter, as is the 41 Rem Mag pistol bullet, and both would be great for lighter loads. The 405 Win bullet would be a great feral hog or deer load, and the 41 Mag bullets would be great plinking and varmint medicine.
Hmmmm. I do think that is the first time I've ever heard the words 41 magnum and varmint used in the same sentence
Apathy rules with an iron fist so we must strike back with steel resolve.