375 H&H project (anyone?)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
blackeagle603

375 H&H project (anyone?)

Post by blackeagle603 »

So there's a guy at work pitching me a M70 Super Express (early 90's production with CRF)...

Lost in a storage locker for some years, bluing gone but not pitted enough to preclude a re-blue, stock needs tossed. Priced low enough to be an ideal build project. Full monty reblue and custom stock or cerakote and laminate/molded stock for an all weather gun for those with Kodiak Island dreams.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aglifter

Re: 375 H&H project (anyone?)

Post by Aglifter »

Why not? As long as it's CRF you should be golden.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I'd go with cerakote and laminate stock.

But a Turnbull-class reblue, and a bit of nice walnut would be gorgeous!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

That's a nice action for the build, and as long as it's long enough for the 375, I don't see a problem.

I have a buddy who built a .416 Rigby on a Savage 110 action. Plenty of length in that action for the build.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

It is a .375 already so no rebarrel needed. I'd personally have no use for it so it'd be a for the fun of it/fiinancial/flip proposition. However, if anyone here has a hankering for a 375 and a project I'll gladly step aside and let 'im have a crack at it.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

How much?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

He would have taken $350 today but i walked away -- might be able get it for $300-325 now. He's not a gun guy and I think when I deferred to think it over he's going to soften up.

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

If I went the all-weather route, this would probably be the stock I'd go with (in the rosewood laminate). That with a full length bedding, a Decelerator pad, and a dark grey cerakote would git er done.

D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

.375 H&H is one of my favorite calibers. It's not much worse than a 300WM for recoil, but hits with authority. Once you shoot it, you'll want to keep it.

On the other hand, if the stock is so bad from storage that it needs to be tossed, I'd worry about how much metal needs to be fixed - like inside of the barrel and inside of the bolt. Parts on the M70 bolt are not drop-in.

One of the reasons I stick with pre-64 M70s is I had a safety break on one of my 1990s CRF M70s - MIM parts, not milled like on pre-64s (lower cost). That was over $100 to fix.

If it's really bad shape, see if he'll take $200 for it. You can budget $200 to fix the metal (as long as the barrel isn't pitted), $200 for a stock, and $50 for refinish, then you'll be into the rifle for less than $700 plus your time. You could find one in good original condition at an ELGS for not much more than $700, so not really worth paying any more for a fixer-upper.

PM me if you decide not to get it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

The stock isn't water damaged. It's just an abortion. He fitted a used left handed stock to this right hand action. So it has a notch cut on both sides.
I don't know what happened to the original stock.