Highland deer stalking gun

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Re: Highland deer stalking gun

Post by First Shirt »

From Wikipedia, so it's worth about what you paid for it.
The American .280 Remington cartridge is probably the closest ballistic twin of the 7x64mm. When compared to the 7x64mm the .280 Remington has a slightly lower maximum allowed chamber pressure and as an American 7 mm cartridge has a slightly smaller bore. European 7 mm cartridges all have 7.24 mm (0.285 in) grooves Ø diameter. American 7 mm cartridges have 7.21 mm (0.284 in) grooves Ø.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote:Custom barreled .260 with appropriate twist. Voila! Problem solved.
That doesn't solve the other length based issue - a 140 grn bullet seated to proper depth is too long to fit in a standard short action magazine. A Wyatts box can fix it, but now you have to machine the receiver and floorplate.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

The roe are small but we are culling red deer which are much larger. We just pop the occasional Roe.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

So, would a 25-06 solve those problems?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

You know, this thread has gotten me looking (again) at the Ruger Scout rifle. I've liked the Scout concept ever since Jeff Cooper (PBUH) proposed it.

Since I don't hunt (yet), I've no USE for a scout rifle, but drooooool.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

So, would a 25-06 solve those problems?
Oh yeah, 25-06 will get er done on elk nicely -- end to end even.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

MarkD wrote: I've no USE for a scout rifle
Which has exactly what to do with wanting/acquiring one? ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

randy wrote:
MarkD wrote: I've no USE for a scout rifle
Which has exactly what to do with wanting/acquiring one? ;)
With wanting? Not a thing. With acquiring? The need to justify the expense, both to myself and Mrs D. I'm perpetually cheap when it comes to me.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CByrneIV wrote:
CombatController wrote:The roe are small but we are culling red deer which are much larger. We just pop the occasional Roe.
Yeah... technically red deer are small elk.
Well, technically, elk are very large deer... :mrgreen:

They're all the same family, only different branches.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

CombatController wrote:The roe are small but we are culling red deer which are much larger. We just pop the occasional Roe.
And how do the Roe compare to regular deer when talking about meat/flavor/taste ('cause we KNOW they won't compare to volume of meat)??
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad