3d printed metal gun.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
slowpoke

Re: 3d printed metal gun.

Post by slowpoke »

George guy wrote:One has to wonder if the bogeyman of disposable untraceable guns would be enough to get the .gov to leap on the ray gun bandwagon if that ever becomes a thing. Collapse the market for conventional ammunition, and as a bonus, it would probably be easier to sell 'smart gun' technology that way than to keep trying to foist a bunch of superfluous electronics on standard firearms.
They'd have to be able to think first. They're to stupid to realise that the NFA and especially it with the hughes amendment has strangled smart guns in the crib. You think the current gun culture would allow for regulations on completely new tech? The best thing for gun control in this country was the Heller decision, and yet the liberal courts try to overturn it instead of embracing it.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Or join Tech Shop or its equivalent... .Ours has no problem working on guns....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

slowpoke wrote:
George guy wrote:One has to wonder if the bogeyman of disposable untraceable guns would be enough to get the .gov to leap on the ray gun bandwagon if that ever becomes a thing. Collapse the market for conventional ammunition, and as a bonus, it would probably be easier to sell 'smart gun' technology that way than to keep trying to foist a bunch of superfluous electronics on standard firearms.
They'd have to bqe able to think first. They're to stupid to realise that the NFA and especially it with the hughes amendment has strangled smart guns in the crib. You think the current gun culture would allow for regulations on completely new tech? The best thing for gun control in this country was the Heller decision, and yet the liberal courts try to overturn it instead of embracing it.
Your mistaken if you thibk they care - gunmaking started out as a cottage industry, before the industrial revolution, and a small part of it remains so. Home made, "illegal firearms" have cobbled together in basements since there were laws restricting them. Zip guns have been cobbled together in NYC since the early fifties, yet the laws have only become more restricted.

Justin, before you go out and spend money, lemme make some calls, if you're serious, i know some people.. ;) :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:... lemme make some calls, if you're serious, i know some people.. ;) :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Not Justin, but watching this thread with great interest! The middle "slice" of that Serbu looks like a good candidate for being cut out with a waterjet. I wonder would it then fall above or below the 80% finished rule... methinks he'd do a roaring trade in them if it's below.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote: Not Justin, but watching this thread with great interest! The middle "slice" of that Serbu looks like a good candidate for being cut out with a waterjet
I wouldn't know, I do not have access to such things as 5 axis flow waterjets, or say a Trumpf 2030 high speed laser table .

Nope, nope, nope. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:Nope, nope, nope. :mrgreen:
Well, you obviously won't be cutting a few out for me, then 8-)
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

HTRN wrote:Justin, before you go out and spend money, lemme make some calls, if you're serious, i know some people.. ;) :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Roger that.

With the holidays, the budget is pretty tight, so I won't be making any big purchases anytime soon.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Seems like a lot of work and expense involved for a shitty single shot pistol with no extractor and a shitty lock time. It should be possible to design something simpler and cheaper to build that would fulfill the gun buyback requirement.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Netpackrat wrote:Seems like a lot of work and expense involved for a shitty single shot pistol with no extractor and a shitty lock time. It should be possible to design something simpler and cheaper to build that would fulfill the gun buyback requirement.
Simpler than four parts? Maybe you can, I know my limitations.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

slowpoke wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Seems like a lot of work and expense involved for a shitty single shot pistol with no extractor and a shitty lock time. It should be possible to design something simpler and cheaper to build that would fulfill the gun buyback requirement.
Simpler than four parts? Maybe you can, I know my limitations.
Yes, just 4 parts... One of which is that frame with all the intricate cutouts, plus the other parts that all need to be made from scratch. I guess if your time is worth nothing you could sell them to a "buyback" and think you are making a profit, maybe. That's of course before you get into FFL fees and ITAR.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop