sound suppression question

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

sound suppression question

Post by Precision »

I am not currently in the market for a suppressor, but...

I am wondering if / how someone would suppress a bull barrel rifle. My understanding is typically the barrel is threaded on the outside and the silencer is screwed on via those threads. With a bull barrel it would seem like you are going a long way towards defeating the barrel advantage as well as running a serious risk of messing up the crown or creating a flex joint by hanging 20-30 oz at a point that was just dramatically weakened by thinning.

Or am I missing something?

example barrel
5.56 bull2.jpg
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BloodlessWeevil

Re: sound suppression question

Post by BloodlessWeevil »

A bull barrel is threaded the same as any other. Bull barrels are used when you want a stiffer barrel, threading the end will not negate this or weaken the barrel more than threads on any other barrel. As far as the crown goes, well the threads are on the outside of the barrel and the crown is not. Concentrically does matter though.

Your example picture shows a fluted barrel, not a bull barrel. I think you got some terminology confused here. A fluted barrel has grooves on the outside surface, this allows weight to be reduced while retaining more stiffness than simply reducing the diameter. A bull barrel is one that is cylindrical or tapered towards the breech, rather than tapered towards the muzzle. Fluted barrels are threaded the same way any other barrel is, but it only works if the flutes end far enough back from the muzzle. I don't know if cutting into the fluted section would cause structural issues, but I imagine it would look ugly and unprofessional.

For reference
Threaded fluted barrel:

Threaded Bull barrel:
"I'm not in charge. I'm just goofing around." -Weetabix
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

A bull barrel provides better precision through increased stiffness, slower heat changes from firing, and better stability by virtue of more weight, particularly towards the muzzle.

None of those advantages are signigicantly affected by 1/2-3/4" of threading on the exterior aspect, nor does it affect the crown if it's done correctly.
And there really isn't any better way to do it. The only way it's going to flex at the joint is manufacturer error, or being dumb enough to yank the weapon by the can, which is about like picking a cat up by the tail: it works, but it's not a wise approach.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Precision

Post by Precision »

BloodlessWeevil wrote:
Your example picture shows a fluted barrel, not a bull barrel. I think you got some terminology confused here.
I do know the difference, I was just too lazy to find a nonfluted fat (bull) barrel. My point remained, how does one do the work on a fat barrel. And you answered. Thank you.

I kinda thought that would be the answer but did not want to prejudice the responses by "answering" my own question.
It still makes me thing the machinist needs to be really careful, but I guess that is just an example of not having always had the best luck with machinists.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Termite

Post by Termite »

Just for shits & giggles........

If you have access to a lathe and some round stock HDPE, you can turn out a slip -on adapter that will fit a common oil filter to a .22 rifle barrel in about 30 min............. :mrgreen:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Precision

Post by Precision »

Termite wrote:Just for shits & giggles........

If you have access to a lathe and some round stock HDPE, you can turn out a slip -on adapter that will fit a common oil filter to a .22 rifle barrel in about 30 min............. :mrgreen:

and have the ATF put me in the BIG BOY slammer in about 30 minutes. :cry:
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

This is good for a laugh. Go to amazon.com and search for "GreatLite 32024 3D Hi-Intensity Aluminum Flashlight, Black"

Then look at the "frequently bought together" and "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought"....

Then think about how often purchases together get the items put in those lists....
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
TheIrishman

Post by TheIrishman »

slowpoke wrote:look at the "frequently bought together"
What, you think it's easy to replace casting plugs without some kind of light source? :D
Formally the IrateIrishman
Termite

Post by Termite »

Precision wrote:
Termite wrote:If you have access to a lathe and some round stock HDPE, you can turn out a slip -on adapter that will fit a common oil filter to a .22 rifle barrel in about 30 min............. :mrgreen:
and have the ATF put me in the BIG BOY slammer in about 30 minutes. :cry:
Oil filters are not illegal, and neither is the piece of plastic............and you can destroy the plastic piece in about 15 seconds. ;)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Denis

Post by Denis »

Termite wrote:Oil filters are not illegal...
Forgive my densitude, and just for educational reasons:

Wouldn't you need an oil filter with a hole at the other end? Do such things exist?

The filter would block the sights, so is it a touching-distance-only proposition...?