sound suppression question

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Erik

Re: sound suppression question

Post by Erik »

Denis wrote:Wouldn't you need an oil filter with a hole at the other end? Do such things exist?

The filter would block the sights, so is it a touching-distance-only proposition...?
It would exist after the first shot :lol:
I have no experience with this, but the scopes I have are about 3 inches over the barrel (give or take), so as long as the oilfilter is less than 6 inches in diameter it should work. And I think that's true for most common filters. As long as you use a scope, and not iron sights.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Precision

Post by Precision »

the ones I have seen have been on pistols and the sights become USELESS, but we are effectively talking about an execution device.

I would assume the scope option would work decently.

There are also water separators for diesel engines and they do have a hole in the bottom. Just need to remove the bleeder valve.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

slowpoke wrote:This is good for a laugh. Go to amazon.com and search for "GreatLite 32024 3D Hi-Intensity Aluminum Flashlight, Black"

Then look at the "frequently bought together" and "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought"....

Then think about how often purchases together get the items put in those lists....
That is some funny shit, thanks for the laugh.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rusty Ray

Post by Rusty Ray »

Denis wrote:
Termite wrote:Oil filters are not illegal...
Forgive my densitude, and just for educational reasons:

Wouldn't you need an oil filter with a hole at the other end? Do such things exist?

The filter would block the sights, so is it a touching-distance-only proposition...?
Some motorbike oil filters are held in place by a nut that runs through the center of the filter. They might do.

SPEEEEEDY! Where are you mate? Calling Highspeed, there is a bike AND gun thread going on here and you're late for it......

Cheers- Rusty
Denis

Post by Denis »

Erik wrote:It would exist after the first shot :lol:
I knew I could rely on someone to make that observation. Serves me right, I suppose... :roll:
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Termite wrote:If you have access to a lathe and some round stock HDPE, you can turn out a slip -on adapter that will fit a common oil filter to a .22 rifle barrel in about 30 min............. :mrgreen:
Which highlights the idiocy of the current suppressor situation, both legal and market. There is no way a suppressor, from any rational perspective should cost more than $100.00 to produce. It's basically a piece of pipe with baffles. A simple muffler, not unlike what you buy for your lawnmower. Truly quite simple from a manufacturing perspective. Were it not for the legal regime, you'd trip over them in sporting goods stores.

I know a guy who has access to a basic machine shop and he asked me about the legality of manufacturing a suppressor, and I took him online to print out the ATF forms. He told me that he had found some plans for a rimfire suppressor and had run a cost estimate, and put the cost of the suppressor at about $40.00 for common materials.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Termite

Post by Termite »

Precision wrote:...... but we are effectively talking about an execution device.
While it could certainly be used for that, it is a small varmint eliminator that doesn' t bother the neighbors, if you use subsonic .22LR. Squirrels, raccoons, opossums, feral cats, etc.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote:
slowpoke wrote:This is good for a laugh. Go to amazon.com and search for "GreatLite 32024 3D Hi-Intensity Aluminum Flashlight, Black"

Then look at the "frequently bought together" and "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought"....

Then think about how often purchases together get the items put in those lists....
Well, wasn't that thoughtful of Amazon......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Termite wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:

Well, wasn't that thoughtful of Amazon......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love this bar.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
martini

Post by martini »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

This is a link to an oil can suppressor review. Basically you buy the adapter and pay the tax stamp on it and then you switch out oil filters as needed.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura