What Caliber Not For Bear

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Kommander

What Caliber Not For Bear

Post by Kommander »

AK-74 vs bear. Article here. What I find interesting is that the paper got all the details on the gun right. They didn't call it an "AK" or "machine gun" but a "semi-automatic AK-74 rifle". The article even goes on to say that the choice of an AK-74 for such work is "unusual". Various posts I've read about the article suggest it took 13 rounds to bring the bear down but I have not found anything to authenticate that.
PawPaw

Re: What Caliber Not For Bear

Post by PawPaw »

What kind of bear? And if he had a 30 round magazine, he didn't use the whole mag. And, it worked. So, some random guy shoots a bear 13 times and the bear falls over. That's better than shooting him six times and he comes over to eat your head.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Jered

Post by Jered »

PawPaw wrote:What kind of bear? And if he had a 30 round magazine, he didn't use the whole mag. And, it worked. So, some random guy shoots a bear 13 times and the bear falls over. That's better than shooting him six times and he comes over to eat your head.
This!
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

One less bear in the world is always good news. One less in the area where I live is great news.

First paragraph says it was a brown bear. Looks like they have updated the article some since I read about it last night, and some of the more egregious of the comments have been removed. The paper getting the details right is not too surprising, since while the ADN may be a bunch of liberals, they are a bunch of Alaskan liberals. Even the commies own guns up here.

The 5.45 got the job done, but it should be noted that the bear did manage to go another 100 yards before it died. Part of that may have been rolling downhill, but sounds like not all of it was.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Clearly he was profiling.
The bear was just a baby, out looking for Skittles.
Justice for BooBoo!

Jus testing. Yeah, pretty much sounds stupid that way too.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
martini

Post by martini »

PawPaw wrote:What kind of bear? And if he had a 30 round magazine, he didn't use the whole mag. And, it worked. So, some random guy shoots a bear 13 times and the bear falls over. That's better than shooting him six times and he comes over to eat your head.
Damn it! I almost lost a keyboard over this comment. That'll teach me to drink coffee while reading here. :)
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

"Head's up, boys, or we're all liable to end up bear shit" - Captain Augustus McRae, Texas Rangers
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

It would be nice to FINALLY educate the reporters to understand that the BULLET is what kills the bear, and NOT THE GUN!! The AK-74 is NOT a powerful GUN, it's ONLY a gun, a transport, firing, and ejection system for the bullet/cartridge.

The scariest-looking gun in the world is still only as effective as the cartridge/bullet it spits out at the end of the barrel!!

As AK-74 is NO MORE deadly than any bolt action gun using the same cartridge - it only reloads quicker - PLUS it might even have a shorter barrel actually making it LESS effective/deadly in terms of ballistic performance than the bolt action!!

Do they REALLY think the bear CARES what he's being shot with (as far as a Semi-Auto rifle or a bolt action, or MAYBE even a PUMP)???? I'm pretty damned SURE he cares about what CALIBER round he gets shot with!!!

YMMV
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

...but was there a wheelbarrow involved?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

My first thought was if it was as SBR with a permanently attached muzzel brake, then Gun Kid must be in Alaska.