J-Frame safety question

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
gromulin

J-Frame safety question

Post by gromulin »

Hello again all. It says I'm a n00b here, but I used to post a lot back in my C&R frenzy of '06 - '09. I've been distracted from my guns by life and kids, but am now looking for some advice:

I'm set on getting a snubby j-frame .38 / .357 for a truck/trail/carry gun. I seem to remember there being a cutoff year, where they changed the safety type, and the newer safety was more prone to failure (or at least that was the belief..can't remember)

SO the question is - is there any real difference in older j-frame safety mechanisms?

Any suggestions on a particular model? I do not think I wan't a hammerless. I'd like the option for the first shot to be single-action.

Thanks!
A good Ringmaster keeps the lions from eating the clowns.

A really good Ringmaster knows when to let the lions eat the clowns.
blackeagle603

Re: J-Frame safety question

Post by blackeagle603 »

...they changed the safety type, and the newer safety was more prone to failure (or at least that was the belief..can't remember)
You're thinking of the lawyer lock. They can be removed/disabled fairly easily.
Any suggestions on a particular model? I do not think I wan't a hammerless. I'd like the option for the first shot to be single-action.
Think twice about that. Opinions are like armpits but I'll offer mine on SA/DA revolvers.

To wit, seriously consider getting one that's DA only. That'll give you slightly more/higher grip and is an aid in shooting +P or magnum loads in the bitty things.
Get one with a hooded or bobbed hammer or have an expose hammer SA/DA revolver coverted to DA only and the hammer bobbed.

Exorcise that "shooting a DA revolver in single action" thought from your mind. Shoot it DA, all the time.

Practice, practice, practice to develop a stroke that flows continously in to fire and out to reset. Don't play the game of trying shoot DA as if it's trigger psuedo SA trigger by pulling it back and then holding just short of firing. Do this and your firing of every other type firearm will improve (at least it did for me and it's consistent with experience of others who've committed to pure DA action).

Shooting SA is for SA revolvers.
Shoot DA revolvers DA -- all the time.

Read and heed Grant Cunningham's book. Total game changer for me. Still learning and applying lessons from that. Money well spent.

Gun Digest Book of the Revolver
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

Yeah, as BE says it sounds like you're referring to the lawyer lock. Which means you can get an older used one without it if you look around.

I also concur on the his DA comments, at least as far as a J frame is concerned. It's primarily a defensive gun. I doubt you'd be using it much for target shooting or hunting companion. With that small of a design, especially one that might be carried in a pocket or glove box, the hammer is just another thing to snag or collect debris.

I prefer the 640 Centennial style in a J frame with an enclosed hammer.

Now for a full sized piece (such as my K Frame Model 19), I like the SA option for precision target shooting or as a field gun longer range shots. For defensive use I only use it in DA, with the exception of Hostage targets (if I have enough time to set up the shot). But in that case, the better sights, sight radius, barrel length and fuller grip are contributing to the precision of the shot as much as the trigger pull.

So I wouldn't use that technique on a J Frame. For me, the J Frame is the gun I bring to a knife fight, and those are the ranges I expect to use it at. In those circumstances, DA is the way to go.

ETA: Also, in a defensive situation you probably need to get a shot off fast, in which case you don't need to be wasting time cocking the hammer. Your first (and possibly only) shot is the one that counts, and in a stress situation that's likely to be a DA shot by reflex. So train on that.

In the "Hostage" shots I spoke of, that was a competition course, and NOT my first round downrange (usually last one after taking out other targets). I also usually had plenty of time to set up the shot while "negotiating" with the Goblin.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

I'm a fan of the bodyguard. This is the one with the shrouded hammer. Looks ugly, works great! And I don't like the lawyer lock at all.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, is a good general rule. I'd think that would apply to hammers as well, but that's just my opinion.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

+1 for the humpbacks - and for either eliminating the internal lock, or buying a model w.o. one.

Something to consider is that, I believe, a Ruger's lockwork is considerably more rugged.

I handled a police six the other day, and I was surprised at how nice a Ruger revolver can feel.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

...and low and behold but I see an nice used stainless humpback .357 in the case today while on a driveby from Home Depot run. I was strong. I didn't pick it up.

Actually I wasn't _thaaaaat_ strong. I was distracted by an immaculate Blue and Wood BHP of early 90's Portugal assembly in the case right next to it. Both are still calling to me as I type this but there's a set of 1908's (.25/.32/.380) that I need to go look over/haggle over again first.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
gromulin

Post by gromulin »

Hey all, Thanks for the insight(s). Especially about the ergonomics of DA only design and +P or full house out of a snub.

But, now, the pocket gun is the 2nd priority behind a couple AR lowers. I'm in CA, so I gotta concentrate on what will be legislated out of existence first...

Thanks again

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yeah, understand that CA priority skew thing. Gotta deal with that myself. Work the other items but in your wanderings keep an eye peeled for a nice shrouded hammer J-frame and jump on it when it shows up. They don't tend to show up that often out here -- esp older ones that aren't on the CA DOJ list.

Offlist handguns can only be sold in private party transactions in CA. Once it goes on a dealer's books it's a LEO only sale or an out of state sale. Most get sold out of state through online auction sites. That diminishes the supply of nice older off-list handguns in CA.

gromulin

Post by gromulin »

Thanks for the advice Blackeagle. I'm going to head out to Cal Expo this weekend for the show, and I'll keep an eye open. I feel like I've been caught flat footed now and am trying to get back up to speed after a 3 year lapse in purchasing anything outside my walnut-and-steel CMP guns safety zone. Hate feeling like a n00B just because I'm pressed for time and can't spend the time doing more research on my own.

God, how I wish I'd bought 3 or 4 more of those Mossberg M44 .22's for $175 each...

Thanks again.