New AR parts-a freefloated rail...

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JAG2955

New AR parts-a freefloated rail...

Post by JAG2955 »

Or, they really ARE like Barbies for men! I'll share a bit about it...

I've had this AR-15 since 2006, and have added and subtracted parts based on my whims, but mostly upgrading from a middle of the road piece to a higher quality weapon.

It is:
*A Stag Arms lower
*Magpul UBR stock, MIAD pistol grip and Battery Assist Device (lever that lets you close the bolt with your strong hand-useful and kinda neat)
*Blue Force Gear Vickers Sling-used it first at the IAR intro shoot, and was as impressed with the sling as I was with the rifle. Had to have one for myself.
*OKC-3S Bayonet-Because awesome, that's why. 8-)
*An old Aimpoint Comp M2. Same batteries since 2007! Not that I used it much recently.
*Inforce low profile flashlight-I really think that a flashlight should be highly recommended on a fighting carbine. I got the Inforce due to it having a strobe setting and it being low profile. No tapes or cords, and it's right where I want it. The lockout lever is closed in the picture. Small, light, low profile. Really cool, and not as expensive as a Surefire.
*Spike's tactical Cold Hammer Forged upper-AIM Surplus was offering these uppers with a Cold Hammer Forged barrel to M249 mil-spec. The chrome lining is almost twice as thick as an M16's. It came with a Nickel Boron coated bolt carrier group, and I installed Spike's NiB coated Battle Trigger. Chemistry is fun. I wish that they were still offering these, as they were a great deal. It's a midlength gas system, and originally had Magpul's MOE handguards. Melonited gas tube, which was a nice touch.
*Apex extended midlength carbine handguard-This is the new part. I think I read about it on thefirearmblog, or some other similar website. Basically, it's a slick rail that uses your stock barrel nut. Installation was rather easy and fun, the most difficult part was knocking the taper pins out of the front sight base, which needed to be removed. I do need to buy a better barrel nut wrench, as mine was slipping, but I did get the barrel properly torqued.

The handguard is covered with a texture milled into the handguard. Apex calls it their GatorGrip. Grippy, but not as rough as a quad rail. The diameter is small enough that I can touch my thumb and forefinger around it. It's very light. I attached the light at a 45deg slot as far forward as possible. The rail was cheaper than most, at about $180, but each rail segment you add gets expensive. I think the 2" one was $25 or so. They are made nicely, as the bottom is radiused to match the handguard. You can attach rails at every 45 degrees. The top one screws into place, the others have backing nuts which are a pain in the ass to put on. You can find them at http://www.apexhandguard.com

Now the confession: I've only shot this upper with a .22 kit at the indoor range, so no real verdict on all the goodies, but save the upper and new handguard, it's been well used. Maybe I'll try to drive the hour and a half to a somewhat decent range sometime soon...grr....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.