DIY Refinishing oven

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: DIY Refinishing oven

Post by Netpackrat »

So last week after hearing nothing further, I asked for an update, and was told my order was being packaged up for shipment on Monday. I was out of town when it arrived, and was only just now able to open up the packages. Looks like what they sent matches the June 29 quote that was missing items, and which I TOLD them was missing items, after which the Gunkote lady blamed the new guy and told me she was going to fix it.

They got the K-phos amounts right, and all of the AK Black that AlaskaTRX and I wanted, but the other colors are hit and miss. I haven't yet gone back through my emails to try to reconcile what was sent with what the 3 of us (me, my brother, and another local guy pooled our orders) wanted, but right off the bat I can see that they only sent half of the camo job that my brother wanted to do.

I can see why nobody in Alaska does Gunkote professionally... They are impossible to deal with, and you can't run a business with a supplier this flaky. Given that most people are erroneously convinced that Cerakote is better, why fight to educate customers on the merits of a product that's a pain in the ass to get in the first place? Hit the easy button and just give them what they want. In the lower 48, that's probably less of an issue since KG's website is set up for automated ordering/ground shipment and they have a standard procedure in place. But anything outside of that system requiring personal contact? Be prepared to tear your hair out!
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cerakoted seems to have a small edge in durability, but it's much more of a hassle to apply, is far more finicky, and costs signicantly more.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The Gunkote lady wrote me back and said she is going to make it right.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Over 3 months after I initially contacted KG, I finally have all of my order. After almost another month with no contact, I sent another email consisting of "So, I guess you are not going to fill the rest of my order after all?" which actually got a fairly prompt reply, and the rest of the stuff showed up on my doorstep this afternoon. They paid the shipping on the final box, asked if there was anything additional I wanted to get while the getting was good, and I think they didn't charge me for the material I was shorted, either. Since it was all stuff that AlaskaTRX had wanted, he appears to have made out like a bandit. I'm still not sure why it had to be such a pain in the ass, but I am glad it is done with.