Colt Official Police, 38Spl, 1950

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
workinwifdakids

Colt Official Police, 38Spl, 1950

Post by workinwifdakids »

In the continuing saga of going through my deceased grandfather's belongings, we continue to find firearms, cartridges, and unopened clothing from the last five decades. I suppose that's what growing up poor will get you.

One of these firearms, the subject of this post, my grandmother graciously gave to me: grandpa's Colt Official Police revolver in .38spl, a 6-shooter at a conservative 80% finish whose serial number (803xxx) appears to date it at 1950. Measuring the barrel from breach to muzzle results in 3.75". I know that's weird is the day is long, so I'm prolly measuring wrong. Either way, here it is!

And, in a tribute to firearms photography:

So, what say ye?
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
randy

Re: Colt Official Police, 38Spl, 1950

Post by randy »

COOL! Well Wear!

Sure beats unopened clothing from the 1950's!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

randy wrote:COOL! Well Wear!

Sure beats unopened clothing from the 1950's!
I'd say that about covers it!

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Heh. My grandfather carried one of those, but w. a 6" barrel for years. It mostly stayed in his truck -- he also had a 1903 Colt, but he took the 38 when he took his family on vacation through Europe in the late 50's. (At least, I think that was the gun -- I know he took a 38.)

They have a wonderful action, enjoy it!
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

That gun was cut down. I have a 1919 version and I am pretty sure they only came in 6". The sight looks very aftermarket, which it would be if it was shortened. Nice gun! I bet it locks up like a bank vault.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

That right there is something very special -- family connection and all that. Wear well.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Denis

Post by Denis »

What a wonderful heirloom! Well wear.
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Barrel definitely cut down, and that is an after-market front sight.

I have an Army Special from the 1920s (the direct precursor of the Official Police) with a 5" barrel. If memory serves, the Army Special came in 4,5, and 6 inch barrels; the Official Police in 4 and 6 only.
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

CombatController wrote:That gun was cut down. I have a 1919 version and I am pretty sure they only came in 6". The sight looks very aftermarket, which it would be if it was shortened. Nice gun! I bet it locks up like a bank vault.
Wow, CC! That would definitely explain the odd length of 3 3/4," wouldn't it? I kept saying, "Man, you KNOW how to use a ruler! What is going on here?"

Well, the muzzle/crown looks absolutely wonderful, so it must have been a professional. That kind of settles it, too: I want to have it re-blued, and toss on an aftermarket stock. I didn't want to do that if was stock, but looks like I can have my cake and eat it too.

Do I want to have a stock front sight installed by someone?
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

workinwifdakids wrote:
CombatController wrote:That gun was cut down. I have a 1919 version and I am pretty sure they only came in 6". The sight looks very aftermarket, which it would be if it was shortened. Nice gun! I bet it locks up like a bank vault.
Wow, CC! That would definitely explain the odd length of 3 3/4," wouldn't it? I kept saying, "Man, you KNOW how to use a ruler! What is going on here?"

Well, the muzzle/crown looks absolutely wonderful, so it must have been a professional. That kind of settles it, too: I want to have it re-blued, and toss on an aftermarket stock. I didn't want to do that if was stock, but looks like I can have my cake and eat it too.

Do I want to have a stock front sight installed by someone?
The stock sight was a silver soldered on half round with a cut on the back style sight, if I'm not mistaken. Like this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =153760367

The only way to do that would be to cut the dovetail portion off, crown and then have the style soldered on. You'd probably be better off keeping what's on there or have something made that looks similar to original and dovetails in.
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)