375 H&H project (anyone?)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
HTRN

Re: 375 H&H project (anyone?)

Post by HTRN »

You'll have to use something like 4759 to shoot 41 mag bullets - most starting loads are going to be too fast for the 41 mag bullets.

And really, if you want something to shoot that's unusual in the 40 caliber range, I'd build a .404. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

AggieWalt wrote:Hmmmm. I do think that is the first time I've ever heard the words 41 magnum and varmint used in the same sentence
Well, feral hogs are varmints in my opinion. A bloody PITA.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
AggieWalt

Post by AggieWalt »

Termite wrote:
AggieWalt wrote:Hmmmm. I do think that is the first time I've ever heard the words 41 magnum and varmint used in the same sentence
Well, feral hogs are varmints in my opinion. A bloody PITA.
Ahmen
Apathy rules with an iron fist so we must strike back with steel resolve.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

rifle-stocks.com responded promptly to my e-mail inquiry. They confirmed availability of magnum length M70 stocks.
We do make stocks for that model; the stock will have a 99% inlet. You will need to do the final inlet sand and finish the outside. You can choose any style any kind of wood combination. The current lead time will be six to eight weeks to complete the order. You can call us directly to complete the order.

Now I need to suck it up, make final choices on wood, color and stock style and call in my order.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

/Eeyore voice/ Oh my...

They have an oversupply of semi-fancy Claro Walnut (California) and a distractingly good price.

Was thinking laminated for durability with the heavy caliber. Keep it simple, not be tempted to send off for checkering...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Ordering from Richard's?! :shock:

You'll Be Sorrrrrryyyyyyyy...... :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote:And really, if you want something to shoot that's unusual in the 40 caliber range, I'd build a .404. :ugeek:
Thought about it. But the case size is a bit different, requires some action work, and opening the bolt face slightly.

Col Cooper was rather fond of the 404 Jeffery case blown out and necked/fire-formed to fit .458 bullets. I believe it is called the 460 G&A. It's only slightly more potent than the 458 Lott, but it does head-space on the shoulder, not the belt. Of course the 458 Lott has the advantage of being able to fire 458 Win Mag.

I do have tucked away in my reloading cabinet a 1917 Enfield action, already opened up for magnum cases. ;)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

HTRN wrote:Ordering from Richard's?! :shock:

Good to hear. Been a niggling concern about "getting what you pay for."

That has me looking over at McMillan at composite stocks. Need to contact them and confirm availability for this action. It would be a bit more money, longer leadtime, but less uncertainty, less finishing and a (perhaps) a bit of brand recognition for resale.

rightisright

Post by rightisright »

HTRN wrote:Ordering from Richard's?! :shock:

Do tell. I was looking at one of their bargain stocks for a beat-up Israeli Mauser action I have laying around.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Richard's changed hands something like 8 years ago, quality since then has been more than a little uneven from what I've read.

If you want a good cheap thumper stock, get a Boyd's JRS stock, just be prepared to wait a little while. You might also want to put a better pad on it, and if you do that, you might as well put a tube in the butt while you're at it..