Range Report: 300 Blackout SBR

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
rightisright

Re: Range Report: 300 Blackout SBR

Post by rightisright »

HTRN wrote:Try a different cleaning agent. Also, they take quite a while to work..
I get good results w. Simple Green HD. It's $14 or so for a gallon. And I do run a crusty bolt through a few cycles.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

See, that's why I bought a Spike's NiB bolt. Most of the fouling wipes off and makes cleaning easy. The Otis chamber cleaning tool takes care of the only difficult spot to reach.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, wish I had gone with the Aero NiB bolt, which was my original plan. I let myself be talked into the Bravo Co BCG by an ex SF dude on another forum... His advice has generally been spot on otherwise (the Bobro scope mount he recommended is awesome, and he warned me away from keymod), but I wish I had gone with the easier to clean BCG.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Heads up to any Blackout shooters. Evidently, Remington (Barnes) has started crimping primer pockets of the UMC 120 grain ammo (and maybe Barnes' other blk loadings too) due to issues with blown primers in barrels with "match" chambers. So basically a few barrel makers decide the specs don't apply to them, and now everybody who wants to reload their cases has to go to the extra trouble of swaging their primer pockets. I checked my most recent fired brass, and some of the cases do indeed have crimped primers.

Just an FYI to check and plan on segregating your brass if you use this load and plan on reloading the brass.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Well that figures. I just got done removing the primer crimp from my Hornady brass so I could start loading it finally.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

OBTW, since you are getting ready to start loading, I will just leave this here:

https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/300-aac- ... 8-220gr-sp

Berry's actually beat Rainier to the market with component plated bullets for subs, and their 220 grainers. Rainier is making a 180 grain plated bullet for blk (which is just stupid), but they currently have an exclusive arrangement with Alexander Arms. The price seems a little high for plated, but I'd assume they had to make new dies and stuff, plus it's still a lot cheaper than using Matchkings or equivalent.

Only reason I am not buying a bunch right now is I am spent out on gun stuff at the moment due to impending 41F.

JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Hmmm...I actually have a bunch of Hornady 208 grain Amax I bought to use. I really wish they would make a 208-220 grain .308 XTP, which would have much better terminal performance at subsonic speeds.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I wonder if you could get away with powdercoated cast lead in a semi auto?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:I wonder if you could get away with powdercoated cast lead in a semi auto?
People are doing it and it seems to work. I'm more concerned with buildup in my non-serviceable rifle can, but again people are doing that, too. What is awesome is the plated bullets should expand, even when used at subsonic velocities. That's been the real Achilles' heel of subsonic Blackout... In most cases you're using a heavy, expensive, match grade rifle bullet meant to survive being fired at high velocity, and lobbing it out at 1000 fps. Expansion is nonexistent unless you are using some of the high dollar, machined/fragmenting bullets. Not sure if the powdercoated lead bullets people are using are soft enough to expand. But plated generally has a dead soft core with a very thin plated jacket.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote:OBTW, since you are getting ready to start loading, I will just leave this here:

https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/300-aac- ... 8-220gr-sp
I posted the above link over at 300blktalk.com, and they're all whining about the price, and don't seem to realize that they may have just been handed the key to expanding subs. I guess if all you want to do is shoot at steel or paper, then that point of view makes some sense. :roll: