New toys

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

New toys

Post by First Shirt »

Apparently, I fell victim to some sort of virus that caused me to channel my inner Candyman, and have acquired not one, not two, but THREE left-handed Savage Mk II .22 LR rifles.

Found one on Gunbroker, and bid all I felt comfortable bidding on it. Didn't make the reserve, so I kept looking, and found a seller with a lefty youth model NIB, at a pretty reasonable price. Started reading the listing, and discovered that he had two of them, and he'd let them go pretty much at cost, since they were special order and the customers backed out at the last minute. He just wanted them out the door, and his investment back.

The deal was made, and they started south. Meanwhile, back at the first auction, the dealer dropped the reserve, and I wound up winning that one, too. So now I've got three left-handed .22s that need bases, rings and scopes. The Boss has already claimed one, and Senior Minion 1, who shoots left-handed, has pointed out that (a) a left-handed .22 would make a better practice rifle than the Marlin 60 that she currently has, and (b) she has a birthday coming up, and it would save all manner of wear and tear if I just gave her one of the other .22s.

When the smoke clears and the dust settles, I might actually have a left-handed .22 of my own. Maybe.

(Range report to follow, as soon as I get scopes on them. The irons pretty much suck, at least as far as proving what the guns will do accuracy-wise.)
Last edited by First Shirt on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Durham68

Re: New toys

Post by Durham68 »

"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

The Savages are nifty rifles. I have one that shoots like it's got eyes. Much more accurate than I can make use of.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I like my Mk II, but I am looking to upgrade the sights.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Pity to have bought such oddball rifles, for which ammunition is currently about as available hereabouts as rounds for the .44 Automag. :P

The ammunition manufacturers, collectively, are putting most of their raw materials into centerfire stuff, which has a 25-100% markup, vs. .22 rimfire, which has <2%.
Fuckers.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Just bought 525 Federals for $45. Could have bought 5000 if I could have afforded them.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Greg

Post by Greg »

The Cabela's in St Louis has .22 on the shelf, but most of it is Thunderbolts. The rest is CCI std velocity. The Remington stuff was, iirc, about 8 cents a round.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

First Shirt wrote:Just bought 525 Federals for $45. Could have bought 5000 if I could have afforded them.
Ouch. I don't think I have ever paid more than $18 for those.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Used to buy them at Walmart for less than $10. Afraid those days are long gone.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

If I ever get a time machine, the hell with killing Hitler. I'm stocking up on cheap ammo, and M-1 Garands, and M-1 carbines, and...
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".