Swiss K31

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Darrell

Re: Swiss K31

Post by Darrell »

toad wrote:Welllll if you have old eyes, scope mounting can be a problem. Doing a Scout Style with a long eye relief scope is probably the best route.
Also as issued it uses what are supposed to be throw away stripper clips, a cardboard and sheet metal affair. There were plenty of the clips around in the 1990's. I guess if you practice a lot and hold your mouth right you can reload fast. Be aware that the fired case is ejected vigorously straight up and back over your head. Some one may make a removable box magazine set up for them now. It has been a couple of decades since I had a K-31. The trigger pull on them is simply amazing.
The St. Maries side scope mount works well.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I probably can't talk you out of buying either, since I own 7 straight-pulls of various vintages.

Dan's ammo has a pretty good price on GP-11.
I have to say that I saw my groups shrink when I changed from Privi to GP-11.

The hot accessory is the Fuerter iron sight which adjusts both elevation and windage in tiny increments. I bought mine on E-bay.
Nice accessories, include the muzzle cover, either brass or aluminum, and, if you want to shoot it in high power with a 1907 sling, nice, but not really necessary is the front sling swivel from the G-1911 which has the loop on the bottom of the barrel band instead of on the side.

Oh, and the most wonderful accessory if you are left-handed, is the Buergen device, or Links Riegl which puts the bolt handle on the left side so it works smoothly for the lefties, something the normal right-hand bolt handle won't do.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Windy Wilson wrote:Oh, and the most wonderful accessory if you are left-handed, is the Buergen device, or Links Riegl which puts the bolt handle on the left side so it works smoothly for the lefties, something the normal right-hand bolt handle won't do.
Now, you could have gone all day without mentioning that, and I'd have been just fine. I've got a serious weakness for left-hand usable bolt actions. (As does SM1.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

First Shirt wrote:Now, you could have gone all day without mentioning that, and I'd have been just fine. I've got a serious weakness for left-hand usable bolt actions. (As does SM1.)
Well, it's better than when I bought my first rifle; the rifle cost $180 and the Device, from Switzerland, cost $315.
Now Swiss products makes one that costs in the mid-$200's, so it isn't quite as outlandish as when the rifles cost $89 on sale. :? :roll:.
toad wrote:Welllll if you have old eyes, scope mounting can be a problem. Doing a Scout Style with a long eye relief scope is probably the best route.
There is also what they call "Diopter" which is a sort of dual peep sight, front and rear.
toad wrote:Some one may make a removable box magazine set up for them now. It has been a couple of decades since I had a K-31.
It has a removable magazine, it just isn't normally done.
toad wrote:The trigger pull on them is simply amazing.
Indeed it is. This and the accuracy with Swiss surplus ammunition are the two reasons the K-31 is still such a good deal.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

I've wanted to "trick out" my K31 for awhile with a diopter and various other St. Marie goodies. Thus far the lack of a job has held me back. I bought a 3/4 case years ago and still have a handful of rounds left.....can't shoot enough to justify the expense.

One day when I make a reasonable wage I'll consider it again. As it is, the rifle can still outshoot me. If you have the spare $$ to burn I can't think of a single reason not to own one, other than the fact that it may ruin you on other milsurps.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

rightisright wrote:Can you guys talk me out of buying one?
Uh, have you met us? :lol:

Kidding aside, I'm starting to consider one myself. Edit to add: found the Swiss Products LH op rod, but Brownells they no have. Anyone have any ideas?
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

http://www.swissproductsllc.com/

My pocketbook hurts just looking at that site's goodies. Looks like you have to go through distributors, though; they list Graf & Sons in the US, besides Brownells. I don't remember who I bought my scope mount from, that was years ago. Here's Graf's K31 page:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/search/keywords/K31

They do show the diopter sight, but I don't see the LH bolt adapter.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Darrell wrote: They do show the diopter sight, but I don't see the LH bolt adapter.
Thank goodness!!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom