375 H&H project (anyone?)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
D5CAV

Re: 375 H&H project (anyone?)

Post by D5CAV »

blackeagle603 wrote:That has me looking over at McMillan at composite stocks. Need to contact them and confirm availability for this action. It would be a bit more money, longer leadtime, but less uncertainty, less finishing and a (perhaps) a bit of brand recognition for resale.
I don't think resale will be any different, but you will be ahead of the game with McMillan or HS Precision.

Any difference in price will be eaten up in gunsmithing hours or your hours trying to get a "no-name" stock fitted and finished, whereas a McMillan or HS Precision stock is pretty much "drop in".

Welcome to the club! You will like the .375 H&H. With the right bullets, it shoots about the same trajectory as a .30-06.

I have a few .375 launchers (including a couple of "disposable" ones that I paid about your price for) and I still have much less invested in the rifles than I have in the ammo.

I'd start with a case each of 270gr and 300gr. You might try a few boxes of 250gr and see how they work. My rifles don't really like anything less than 270gr. Once you get some spent brass, try reloading some 330gr. http://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/c ... ey=MTH_L02 Since these are copper bullets, you will need to watch the OAL for reliable magazine feed.

.375 H&H with 330gr jacketed bullets can be found, but it's typically old Kynoch ammo with cordite at collector prices.

Warning: The .375 H&H is addictive. Once you shoot your rifle, you will be buying more.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Please do not buy from HS Precision.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Netpackrat wrote:Please do not buy from HS Precision.
Wow! Never again!

Thanks for the heads-up. Here's the ARFCOM thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/793025_.html
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Okay, necro post time.

Have let this rifle set and settle a bit as I enjoyed some San Dog summer and fiddled occasionally with getting Bubba's M1917 Enfield back to original configuration (still have some stock refinishing to do there but that's for another "Hey, Candyman!" post).

So the question of the hour is what to actually put money down on for a replacement stock for this piece.

As much as I'd love to go the custom fancy checkered walnut route I just can's see putting that much money out on another "me too" Safari Queen. I think I'll give it a utility hunter bias and hope to sell it someday to someone with an Alaska Brownie fantasy after playing with it a bit myself.

So it comes down to basically two options I have in mind (this should be a poll):

1. McMillan with Cerakote or Gunkote.
If so, then what stock color/pattern from MacMillan would you all think would be a good reseller?

2. Boyd's wood
Concerned about fit and overall finish. Haven't any personal experience with Boyds.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

oy, MacMillan leadtime. 6 months.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Boyd's has a rep for taking forever, but being the best of the low cost aftermarket stockmakers. I will say their JRS stock is one of the more popular low buck stocks for Thumpers over at AR(or at least it was). I plan on restocking mine with one, after changing to an XRM mag box and follower, along with a Williams bottom metal and extractor.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

MacMillan does nice work , have a couple of their stocks , athough for a 375 I would go with a classic wood stock , if the bore is clean. Other wise go to Mcmillion , and bore out to 458 .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I bought a Boyd's laminated stock last summer, for the grand-daughter's deer rifle project, and I was really happy with it. It fit perfectly, looks good, and comes with a nice recoil pad.

Seen a couple of others on guns belonging to friends, and have heard no complaints.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
BDK

Post by BDK »

Personally, I like Hogue over molded stocks.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah if wood, then laminated or not?

Call me a Luddite. /heh/ Hogue overmoldeds make my skin crawl. Don't know why. Just a bridge to far for some reason. It's a serious stretch for me to even consider laminated wood, let alone a MacMillan.

The other Model 70's in the safe might be tempted to make tuppergun and Fugly jokes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.