gun lube

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
D5CAV

gun lube

Post by D5CAV »

A friend was recommending this stuff: http://botach.com/militec-1-synthetic-r ... le-2-pack/

Holy Moly! $17 for 2oz?

I'm using 5w motor oil and bearing grease.

Am I missing something? Should I just upgrade to synthetic motor oil or is this Militec stuff all that?

TIA
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
PawPaw

Re: gun lube

Post by PawPaw »

I'll take flak on this for sure, but I'm not convinced that there are really ANY gun oils made today. I'm more convinced that our gun oils are simply repackaged commercial lubricants, labeled as gun oil and sold to us in one ounce bottles. If you want to pay $17.00 per ounce for gun oil, go for it.

My basic lube tray consists of bottles of ATF, 5W synthetic motor oil, and white lithium grease. My solvents consist of acetone and carburetor spray. I do keep a little Hoppe's in the tray, normally because it's given to me at Christmas It's hard to argue with Hoppe's when it's free.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

PawPaw wrote:I'll take flak on this for sure, but I'm not convinced that there are really ANY gun oils made today. I'm more convinced that our gun oils are simply repackaged commercial lubricants, labeled as gun oil and sold to us in one ounce bottles. If you want to pay $17.00 per ounce for gun oil, go for it.

My basic lube tray consists of bottles of ATF, 5W synthetic motor oil, and white lithium grease. My solvents consist of acetone and carburetor spray. I do keep a little Hoppe's in the tray, normally because it's given to me at Christmas It's hard to argue with Hoppe's when it's free.
Similar here. My cleaners are Windex (when shooting corrosive ammo), Hoppe's and/or WD-40 as solvents, copper solvent when needed. Lubes are air tool oil (I had some, so why not?) and lithium grease. If I know it'll be a while before I have a particular gun out I spray it with WD-40 as a rust preventative. I get flak for that too, but I never find any rust so it seems to work.
evan price

Post by evan price »

I use dexron atf, Hoppes because I like the smell, 0w20 mobil one synthetic motor oil, silicon grease, high pressure worm screw lubricant, lubriplate, slick 50 or triflow spray. Someone did a study testing a whole pile of gun products and commercial lubes and found little difference.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner for the major gunk. It's cheaper by the case: http://www.amazon.com/Penray-Performanc ... ner+penray

Then I hit 'em w. G96: http://www.amazon.com/G96-1055P-Complet ... ywords=g96

Mainly because I like the smell :)

I have a little bottle of Militec around here somewhere... I used it on one of my ARs. The action didn't seem any slicker nor did it seem to last longer than more mundane lubes. But, then again, I am not an operator operating operationally.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I've heard good things about Lubriplate, but never used it. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm in the auto parts store. But, just yesterday I bought a tube of white lithium, so I'm good for grease for at least another year.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I'm convinced gun products like "Militec" is the men's equivalent of department-store cosmetics for women.

Trying to tell a "high speed, low drag" operator that 5w motor oil is as good as "Militec" is like trying to tell a 30-something professional woman that the $1.99 bottle of Jergens works as well as the $100 per ounce "Shiseido".
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I lube my gun in the bowels of my enemies.

/penis.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

PawPaw wrote:I've heard good things about Lubriplate, but never used it. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm in the auto parts store. But, just yesterday I bought a tube of white lithium, so I'm good for grease for at least another year.
I recall my Dad looking for lubriplate for the gears on my model trains when I was a kid, he knew it from his Garand in the USMC.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I've become a big fan of Slipstream. Haven't tried their Styx (includes rust resistant oil).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story