Remington brings back their Model 51

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Darrell

Re: Remington brings back their Model 51

Post by Darrell »

This is why I bought a Ruger SR1911 rather than the Remington 1911. Ruger has their act together, at least when compared to Remington. :roll:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote:Getting mass production right can be very hard. Getting preproduction mass produced parts (especially assemblies) right can be a cast iron PITA.
You're not telling me anything I don't already know - but it's hardly relevant - Remington has been making 700s since before I was born, and the quality remained a constant(more or less, the finish on some of the stuff that came out in the mid 80s was kinda meh) for the 700, up until the mid 90s when I started hearing complaints about them. My guess it was costcutting of some sort, previously marginal barrels that would have been shitcanned, were being installed on guns.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:Getting mass production right can be very hard. Getting preproduction mass produced parts (especially assemblies) right can be a cast iron PITA.
You're not telling me anything I don't already know - but it's hardly relevant - Remington has been making 700s since before I was born, and the quality remained a constant(more or less, the finish on some of the stuff that came out in the mid 80s was kinda meh) for the 700, up until the mid 90s when I started hearing complaints about them. My guess it was costcutting of some sort, previously marginal barrels that would have been shitcanned, were being installed on guns.
I was referring to the new pistols.

This is different from accountant driven cost outs and all the other crap which can screw up a good manufacturing/assembly process.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

It looks like something from Flash Gordon.
And what Greg said about the trigger; I think Tam said the trigger gave the sense that there was a lot of extra activity going on when you fired the gun, so it's strange.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

NVGdude wrote:
CByrneIV wrote:.. What's the appeal?
Seriously?
Single Stack, 9mm, Metal frame, Single-Action Trigger.

It's the IDEAL small belt gun. Same size as an S&W Shield, except with an aluminum frame, better sights, and better trigger.

The only problem being that Remington completely fucked up the execution and they don't actually work worth a damn, have poor support for the primer causing excessive primer flow, and apparently have a nasty habit of being able to fire out of battery.

Now the aesthetics are either a love/hate thing. The fact that it looks like it fell out of a prop box for a remake of Bladerunner is either a bonus or a killer depending on what you like.
Don't forget the steel breach peening the aluminum frame because they decided to lock right up to the frame instead of having a locking insert in the frame, which contributed to the other issues...

As i said they have some serious design flaws; they are fixable, but it remains to be seen if they fix it or if it falls in the memory hole.

I hope they fix it though, I think it would be an excellent supressor platform that should run without a nielson device.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Remington is now announcing that they "Have the Fix in the works"

http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/25/break ... ol-update/
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

:jacked:
Thinking about the Pederson hesitation lock; It was used in a SIG smg too. Wouldnt that be a nice action for a 10mm carbine?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

This is one of those times where I'm glad I haven't been to a gun shop or firearms section in a while. I probably would have bought one and now would be cursing the thing.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

NVGdude wrote:Remington is now announcing that they "Have the Fix in the works"

http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/25/break ... ol-update/
When I worked in Aerospace it was generally believed that "I'm working on it" did not indicate a problem existed, but "We're working on it" did indicate there was a problem. This sounds like, "We're working on it."
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Shame, it's a pretty pistol. They should get the engineers from hi-point to consult.